Surgery on female sulcata on TV last night

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Did anyone else see Exotic Vet episode last night? There was an egg-bound sulcata that required surgery to remove eggs.. Most of the eggs had somehow migrated up into her ureter, a few others were in the Fallopian tube area (not sure, just in the wrong place). The shells were extremely hard and the eggs were rotting. Tort required blood transfusion (the vet owns a male sulcata who was the donor). They cut through her plastron and I must admit, I wasn't able to see the end of the program to know how the tort did post-op.

Other than being an eye opener, I have to wonder if I need to worry about RV... there was no mention of the tort having been in an area with a male tort, and RV is a single tort living the single life (and tromping the yard. reminds me I need to cut some cactus pads for her).

regards
teri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Teri:

Some female tortoises that have never been with a male tortoise will never lay eggs. Others lay like chickens, male or not. If RV hasn't laid eggs now at her age and size, chances are pretty good that she won't start.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
WOw, thanks for sharing. I enjoy that show and did not see it.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Thanks Yvonne, you've soothed my fears. She is big getting bigger, seems healthy: alert, curious, and walking the yard.