Survival rate of respitory infections

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I know it must've already been asked a hundred times, but hear me out.
When a RI forms, what is the survival rate?
If you have raised the temps, keep feeding your tort and made sure he is well hydrated, does it mean there could be no problem?
Also
Some people recommend you should see a vet first, but the entire experience of handeling the tort and taking it to the vet is stressful for the tort. Would simply raising the temps be fine?
Does stress affect respitory infections?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I know it must've already been asked a hundred times, but hear me out.
When a RI forms, what is the survival rate?
If you have raised the temps, keep feeding your tort and made sure he is well hydrated, does it mean there could be no problem?
Also
Some people recommend you should see a vet first, but the entire experience of handeling the tort and taking it to the vet is stressful for the tort. Would simply raising the temps be fine?
Does stress affect respitory infections?
Stress is never good for humans or reptiles, but questions like the one you ask are hard to answer. One has to weigh the value of the treatment received against the amount of stress required to receive the treatment. If the case is bad enough, the stress is most likely worthwhile.

Will the vet possibly give you the oral Baytril without seeing the tortoise in person?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Stress is never good for humans or reptiles, but questions like the one you ask are hard to answer. One has to weigh the value of the treatment received against the amount of stress required to receive the treatment. If the case is bad enough, the stress is most likely worthwhile.

Will the vet possibly give you the oral Baytril without seeing the tortoise in person?
I think he may, but I do aggree that the entire process would be stressful.
I'm scared of over doing it.
He is healthy and energetic, weighs 120g. I could take him, risk making it worse via stress and wrong temps, giving him the baytril would also be stressful, he scares easily, or he can stay and I go, but I won't be able to get x rays to see what's going on, so it's a tough choice
(The vet will also most likely add vitamins to the mixture of baytril, but I'll ask him not too)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
In my very unqualified opinion, meaning I would absolutely get a second one, if a tortoise seems to be energetic and is eating, I would do what I can to fix it before seeing a vet. If the tortoise’s health is declining or not improving after a week or two, then I would seek out a vet. Of course, if a tortoise is in very poor condition, i.e. very “snotty”, lethargic, and without an appetite, and temperatures are correct so that increasing them likely would not make them less lethargic, a vet would be necessary immediately.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's difficult to answer that question because most respiratory infections aren't! People see a runny nose and jump to the wrong conclusion. Stress causes a runny nose. Living in the wrong environment causes stress. Fix the environment the tortoise thrives!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Disclaimer: I am not a vet, but I have been caring for tortoises for over a decade, including some very sick rescues.

Runny noses and wheezy breathing in tortoises CAN be an indicator of very serious conditions, such as an RI which can turn into pneumonia or even a systemic infection if not addressed properly. HOWEVER, clear runny noses are also sometimes indicators of other things:
- too low temperature. A young leopard tortoise really needs temps 82°F and above, with basking spot of 100°F. If night temps drop too low, this can cause a runny nose
- intestinal parasites. If your tortoise picked up some worms, they can cause RI symptoms. This is actually quite common. Take a fecal sample to the vet and have them check it. Here, our local dog/cat vet will do an in-house non- appointment fecal float for $15. If parasites or ova are detected, you will need to treat. Your vet can help you with proper dosage. Most likely they will use Panacur (active ingredient Fenbendazole).
- dusty substrate. Hot heat lamps can cause dusty, dry substrate, which in turn irritation of the nasal passages and lungs. Make sure your substrate stays moist enough!
-Mycoplasma. Ugh, hopefully you're not dealing with this. There is a test, but it's expensive and not always reliable (a negative test just means that specific swab didn't happen to catch any...

IF your vet decides to treat with antibiotics, injectible Ceftadizime is easier on the filter organs and injection site. Oral Baytril is not great. However, our exotics vet saved one of our rescues a few years ago by treating with inhalable (micronized) Baytril. We had to make a little chamber out of a plastic bin, and buy a pump and attachment. We measured the Baytril into isotonic saline, and it was then sent through a special filter in a way that tiny particles were pumpled into the air of the chamber. The sick tortoise had to be in there and inhale the mist for 30 mins twice a day for 10 days. It got better within 4 days (snotty green nose with bubbles and wheezing).

I hope your tortoise will get better soon!