Survivors of yellow bump

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i went through someone here early 2020. thats what started all the time and effort to figure this out. this person sent them to me as ones they bred but in fact got them from another breeder which i did not find out till months later and back and forth. so even buying them here you have to be very careful.
You should have done a vendor review on them if you didn't. I don't think members should be given special privilege. They want to sell tortoises and not be honest about the way they do things, then they should be exposed the same as any other vendor.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
the admins know about it. but ill be honest this was lance. im not going to sugar coat anything anymore kind of tired of that at this point. im hoping he no longer deals with the person and he has taken measures to prevent it this was over a year ago.

Last edited:

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
The truly horrifying part about this discovery in my greek Tortoise Is that there were hundreds imported with it and this is one of the nicest ones that I kept for myself meaning that potentially every Greek tortoise in the US could have been exposed
I have so many questions reading your statements here.

Who had them imported? What varieties of greek tortoises? Is it multiple locales? Did you import them or buy them direct from the importer? Your statement suggests that you distributed some of these to other people - if so, did you contact those people and let them know what's up?

At first glance, this appears to be a different source than the sulcata breeder / wholesaler that mastershake is referring to. But maybe it's the same person. IF this turns out to be the same disease, you have the chance to potentially save some tortoises by making sure people in the chain of custody know what's going on.

Some moral burden falls on everyone in this situation to spread the word and try and mitigate the damage. I personally was in a panic many weeks back when I had a redfoot fall ill. One of the first people I contacted was mastershake - just on the off chance that it could have been this disease. Turns out it wasn't, it was a ruptured egg that turned out unfortunately to be fatal. But the paranoia still runs high...

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
correct supposedly these were imported from jordan i think?? i am in pm with someone else about the same animal so im not sure what the situation there is

Jan A

Boulder, CO
the admins know about it. but ill be honest this was lance. im not going to sugar coat anything anymore kind of tired of that at this point. im hoping he no longer deals with the person and he has taken measures to prevent it this was over a
Geez, Mastershake. Please get some rest. I had no idea you'd been victimized, too.

Who had them imported? What varieties of greek tortoises? Is it multiple locales? Did you import them or buy them direct from the importer? Your statement suggests that you distributed some of these to other people - if so, did you contact those people and let them know what's up?

At first glance, this appears to be a different source than the sulcata breeder / wholesaler that mastershake is referring to. But maybe it's the same person. IF this turns out to be the same disease, you have the chance to potentially save some tortoises by making sure people in the chain of custody know what's going on.

Some moral burden falls on everyone in this situation to spread the word and try and mitigate the damage. I personally was in a panic many weeks back when I had a redfoot fall ill. One of the first people I contacted was mastershake - just on the off chance that it could have been this disease. Turns out it wasn't, it was a ruptured egg that turned out unfortunately to be fatal. But the paranoia still runs high...
Sorry to hear you lost your tort. There is no good way to lose a tort. And yes, aw makes me sad & angry because sellers are victimizing tort enthusiasts, many of whom are first time owners.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
oh no this was last feb 2020. that is what started me into figuring out what this was

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
correct supposedly these were imported from jordan i think?? i am in pm with someone else about the same animal so im not sure what the situation there is
Yes my buddy and I imported some of these and I believe you are talking to him currently via p.m.

I am currently writing up a case report on this Tortoise and we have decided to try some homeopathic remedies with some of our infected specimens in hopes to find something that can improve this condition without putting to much stress on the animal I am unaware of any medical treatments that are showing promise and improving this fungal infection Going to start a forum page on this sometime tomorrow

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
this is not a fungal infection if this is austwickia. and if it is NO homeopathic anything will work. many have posted things they have tried before to have the bumps fall off but this is not a cure if this is autwickia. the bumps going away means nothing. your friend said you were going to have this tested. you should NOT spread homeopathic things for people to try without proof they actually work this could possibly cause this to spread further to more animals if they think they are curing the animals. if you find something that TESTS to be working then GREAT.

this needs to be tested imo to know what you are actually dealing with and not just try random things on. i dont mean to sound rude at all but as highly contagious as aw is and how easy it can spread people need to understand the risks involved in making contact with an infected animal and anything else or letting them go outside etc.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Again not spreading any information with out proof but we are documenting our findings extremely carefully and it may not work but as of right now there are not many paths to take other then euthanizing the animals and I will be having them tested by a professional to confirm the diagnosis.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
im still not sure why we were asked about using our lab for testing then. i do not mean any offense at all once again. just seems odd is all. also the suggestion to your friend was to send in a deep tissue sample if you do not want to euthanize an animal for testing. that of course would sadly be THE best way to know how far this goes by doing a necropsy but that was never suggested to immediately euthanize them all without proper testing.

Last edited: