Suspected Prego Girl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I have a small colony of Russians.
My biggest female is 6.5 inches, my male is just under 5".

They have been together for, almost a year now.
The last few days, she has been pacing the walls, and getting into trouble(trashing my decor, pushing under ramps, knocking rocks around...

Does anyone agree she may be prego!?
When I read on breeding/laying, restlessness is a sign of egg laying to come... I have not changed anything in their cage, lighting, decor wise in well over a month now, perhaps 2, minor changes even then.

Agree with me? Whats next for me? They are in a 3ft x 10 ft cage, with substrate ranging from just 2" deep, to 6-8" deep.
I planned on upping one side of substrate to 12" to encourage her to lay on this side of the cage. Also read that they would prefer a warm, well drained slope to lay on, should I arrange the substrate in this manor?
Cheers

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
It is very possible based on the signs that she is carrying eggs, but she would be "gravid," not pregnant ;)

Your plan sounds like a good one!

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
How exciting!! I hope you get a few little suprises soon!! :D

This as the first clutch, I am setting myself up for disappointment and expecting them not to be fertile. But yes, just the idea of getting eggs excites me. I figure, first lets get eggs, then work on getting them to be fertile(next year etc...)

jwhite

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west milwaukee,wi
it does sound like she is getting ready to lay. It sounds like you are ready for her to lay. I also dampen the area where i want my girls to lay. Mine seem to like the soil more damp than usual. when I mean damp i mean so that the soil just stays together when you squeeze it your hand not so that water comes out when you squeeze it.

Jon

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Hi Goodsmeagol, I just want to help you by explaining the term "Gravid".
Although a live birth animal can be gravid, an egg layer cannot be pregnant. Egg layers can only be gravid because the fetus is incubated outside of the mother. In order to be pregnant the animal has to intend to carry the fetus to term, and give live birth. All egg layers are gravid as opposed to pregnant. All live birthers can be Both gravid and pregnant.

Hope that helps. :)

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies!

If my girl is GRAVID, how long until I should expect the eggs? After what period of time can I assume she was not gravid?
Thanks

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
I will go ahead and guess, seeing as my girl has not laid, she is not gravid?

Status
Not open for further replies.