Suspicious about Herpes virus of mesopotamian tortoise

penpolice

Location (City and/or State)
south korea
My two mesopotamian tortoises have stomatitis and feel pain when they eat something. My vet said it looks like symptom of Herpes virus but he can't say it is 100% for sure because of lack of examine devices. He said if it is Herpes virus, there are no possible medication for them. He only can prescribe medicine to cure stomatitis. But I really want to save their lifes. If you know about any information of Herpes virus, Please help us. Thank you.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
acyclovir has been used quite a bit in reptiles ....... i read some pretty impressive survival rates in known infected turtles treated with acyclovir and enroflxacin .......

https://www.academia.edu/download/44696668/Reptile_virology20160413-17597-iaai4a.pdf

". Acyclovir was effective against tortoise herpesvirus in vitro [52]; however, objective in vivo studies have not been performed. Although no pharmacokinetic studies have been performed in tortoises, one recommended dosage is 80 mg/kg/d orally [53], whereas other investigators suggested that 80 mg/kg, orally, every 8 hours, was more effective [54]."

penpolice

south korea
acyclovir has been used quite a bit in reptiles ....... i read some pretty impressive survival rates in known infected turtles treated with acyclovir and enroflxacin .......

https://www.academia.edu/download/44696668/Reptile_virology20160413-17597-iaai4a.pdf

". Acyclovir was effective against tortoise herpesvirus in vitro [52]; however, objective in vivo studies have not been performed. Although no pharmacokinetic studies have been performed in tortoises, one recommended dosage is 80 mg/kg/d orally [53], whereas other investigators suggested that 80 mg/kg, orally, every 8 hours, was more effective [54]."
Thank you for great information!!! I will read all of it. Thank you very much!