Swelling on my hatchling knees?

pikkutassu

Location (City and/or State)
Helsinki
Hi everyone!

I have noticed that my baby Greek tortoise's back leg joints look swollen to me. Would you consider this normal structure or is it swelling? He walks around fine, and uses his legs a lot to reach and climb, but seeing the joints as round as this makes me worry. His humidity is 60/70, basking 90, otherwise temps range from 90 to 70. He has UVB and high fiber diet. Substrate is coco coir and I'm adding some orchid bark today.

A picture is attached here:

swelll.png

Thank you in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Edema is water retention. You should make a vet appointment and re-read your care sheet tomake sure you have the tortoise set up properly

pikkutassu

Helsinki
Thank you Yvonne!

Other than the things I mentioned he has a water dish of course and I soak him daily in warm water, he drinks fine, poop and urine is normal. He eats mostly dandelion now, could that cause swelling? I add some dried nettle and hay occasionally. No fruit, no vegetables. He might also be stressed because I had to change his setup immediately after arriving (I've had him for two weeks now) due enclosure problems. I have added Nutrobal to his food in the morning (like a tiniest pinch) and then calcium straight from sepia bone. I feed him in the morning and in the evening, size of his shell, maybe I should halve the amount of food?

pikkutassu

Helsinki
Edema is water retention. You should make a vet appointment and re-read your care sheet tomake sure you have the tortoise set up properly
I forgot to reply like this, please check out my comment above. If any of those can't be the reason I will call my vet tomorrow!

pikkutassu

Helsinki
I took him to a vet today, had X-Ray and blood work and soft tissue fluid sample done. Poor baby might suffer from a kidney disease or an infection that he already had when I purchased him and I'm so heartbroken rn. I hope this is something curable.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am glad you got your little one to the vet. I am sorry for you if that is the outcome.