Swelling on redfoots neck

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Over the last few days we've been noticing a swelling on the side of our tortoises neck. She got into a dish of dry dog food the other day and we think she ate quite a bit before we noticed it. She pushes the dish down with her neck to eat out of the bowl so I don't know if it's possible for them to bruise their necks. Also she could have some mosquito bites from being outside. Any feedback is appreciated.

20200710_120043.jpg20200710_120043.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
I really Doubt it’s a Bruise. You should definitely get that checked by a Vet.
(Someone that’s a specializes in Reptiles)

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
That's what I thought. I have a reptile vet that takes care of her. I just thought someone may have seen something similar in their tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed my Redfoot whole, dry Mazuri 5M21 pellets from time to time and I've never seen one of my tortoises with anything stuck in the throat.
Have you tried an extended soak?

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
We've been soaking her in a tub of water but she's been trying to climb out after about ten minutes. We'll put her in the tub and leave her in there for a while and see what happens. The swelling has changed into two small pea sized soft swellings that are about a 1/4 apart.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We've been soaking her in a tub of water but she's been trying to climb out after about ten minutes. We'll put her in the tub and leave her in there for a while and see what happens. The swelling has changed into two small pea sized soft swellings that are about a 1/4 apart.
I'd be thinking Fire ant or Spider bite.
But soaking sure won't hurt.
Is he acting normally?

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
If it's a bite, it seems like it's taking a long time to clear up. I guess with reptiles everything heals more slowly.