Swimming red foot

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Crewe
To my surprise, I just found out that my red footed torti can swim. Is this good for them? Is it something that could be incorporated into his daily soak?

Thanks ?

Attachments

• IMG_2433.MOV
    11.5 MB

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
To my surprise, I just found out that my red footed torti can swim. Is this good for them? Is it something that could be incorporated into his daily soak?

Thanks ?

You need to upload your video to YouTube then post the YT URL here in your thread. But, a little swim is good exercise!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My redfoot swims too. I think it's good exercise for them. I don't force it on him though. My bathtub is slanted so I can keep it where he's standing on one side and swimming on the other. He seems to enjoy it.

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Crewe
You need to upload your video to YouTube then post the YT URL here in your thread. But, a little swim is good exercise!
Apologies, will upload to YouTube

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Crewe
My redfoot swims too. I think it's good exercise for them. I don't force it on him though. My bathtub is slanted so I can keep it where he's standing on one side and swimming on the other. He seems to enjoy it.
Wonderfull video, my bath is sloping too, will try that.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wild redfoots are well-documented swimmers and show no hesitation to swimming small bodies of water for food, etc. There is not a lot of evidence that they 'need' to swim, but I did love letting mine choose to, like Toddrkfl1, by using a large tote tilted up a little.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They are not built to swim like turtles, but they can if they need to!!! Just if they need to for some reason or a bit of exercise (not too long). My take.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Surprisingly, to me anyway, leopard tortoises will willingly and purposefully walk into ponds and swim around on occasion given the chance. Large Galapagos tortoises love to sleep in mud and relatively deep water.

A cautionary note. While some tortoises can swim at least some of the time, they can also drown, and frequently do. Great caution should be exercised any time a tortoise is near water deep enough to drown in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Surprisingly, to me anyway, leopard tortoises will willingly and purposefully walk into ponds and swim around on occasion given the chance. Large Galapagos tortoises love to sleep in mud and relatively deep water.

A cautionary note. While some tortoises can swim at least some of the time, they can also drown, and frequently do. Great caution should be exercised any time a tortoise is near water deep enough to drown in.
I did see a Redfoot nearly drown in the one Keenan video that I watched.
It had fallen into a pond. Like they can float if they anticipate going in. But not if it is accidental.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I did see a Redfoot nearly drown in the one Keenan video that I watched.
It had fallen into a pond. Like they can float if they anticipate going in. But not if it is accidental.
I've had days like that! Totally fascinating that some torts swim.