1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Swollen baby sulcata?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by SPeedySulcata, Nov 10, 2016.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. SPeedySulcata

SPeedySulcata New Member

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478802340.059818.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478802353.740591.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478802369.749795.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478802381.202841.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478802396.851811.jpg
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    You have to admit, you've rather tied our hands now, haven't you? It's like going to the doctor and telling him to fix you, but not giving him any information about where you're broken.

We need a lot more information:

how this baby is being cared for
    enclosure
    lighting
    food
    temperature

Quite often baby tortoises look a little puffed up. It might be nothing, it might be water retention, it might be kidney failure. Unless we have some idea of how this baby is cared for, we can't even hazard a guess.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  3. SPeedySulcata

SPeedySulcata New Member

Temps are 80 cold side and 100 basking side, feeding on spring mix and mazuri. Also has a humid hide.
  4. legan52

legan52 Active Member

Chicago
    I think what we might need is a bit more detail. It would be easier to help if you seemed like you wanted it. I'm far from an expert but I know it would be helpful to have more information, like some of the things you've already been asked to provide. Can you share a pic of the enclosure? Is your tort acting odd? Is it losing weight or feeling soft? Is it eating normally? I probably won't be the one that has the knowledge to help you, but nobody else can help without more info.
    Yvonne G likes this.
  5. HI Tortoise Rescue

HI Tortoise Rescue Active Member 5 Year Member

Oahu, Hawaii
    If it makes you feed any better, I've seen numerous babies that looked "puffy," & yours doesn't look as swollen as they did. All of them survived, too.

Welcome to the forum. Good place for good information!

Ken