Swollen baby sulcata?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You have to admit, you've rather tied our hands now, haven't you? It's like going to the doctor and telling him to fix you, but not giving him any information about where you're broken.

We need a lot more information:

how this baby is being cared for
enclosure
lighting
food
temperature

Quite often baby tortoises look a little puffed up. It might be nothing, it might be water retention, it might be kidney failure. Unless we have some idea of how this baby is cared for, we can't even hazard a guess.

Last edited:

SPeedySulcata

Temps are 80 cold side and 100 basking side, feeding on spring mix and mazuri. Also has a humid hide.

legan52

Chicago
I think what we might need is a bit more detail. It would be easier to help if you seemed like you wanted it. I'm far from an expert but I know it would be helpful to have more information, like some of the things you've already been asked to provide. Can you share a pic of the enclosure? Is your tort acting odd? Is it losing weight or feeling soft? Is it eating normally? I probably won't be the one that has the knowledge to help you, but nobody else can help without more info.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
If it makes you feed any better, I've seen numerous babies that looked "puffy," & yours doesn't look as swollen as they did. All of them survived, too.

Welcome to the forum. Good place for good information!

Ken