Swollen eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammr

5 Year Member
I just got a baby sulcata last week and I noticed today that he keeps scratching his eye and it's sometimes closed. The eye is slightly swollen but otherwise he is ok. He still eats, poops and walks around. I live in puerto rico and don't know of a vet that works with reptiles. What can I do? I'm afraid he will hurt his eye with all the scratching. btw his name is Alfred.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It will be difficult because he's so small, but it would probably help if you can flush out the eye with some sterile saline solution. You can buy it in the pharmacy in the contact lens department.

Then put some antibiotic ointment on the eye. Most places that normally sell the ointment have it back-ordered, so you may have to get it from your vet.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi...I was wondering what type of substrate you are using for your baby tort? If it's hay or some other substrate that's not good for torts, then that can also be a reason for swollen eyes. In any case, try what Yvonne said about flushing out the eyes with a sterile saline solution. But then you'd want to know what caused or is causing the irritation. So, please let me know what you are using for his enclosure. Also, where did you get your baby from? I would imagine that your baby would be in paradise there in the warm climate. Sibi

Status
Not open for further replies.