swollen eyes and lethargic

mikeysmomma

I just got my russian tortoise Money last week. I will admit I should have done more research before I got him but I am willing to learn and trying to do what's best for him. I have him in Fluker's Tropical Cypress Bedding Reptile Substrate that the lady at petco recommended. The temp is about 80 and humidity is at 40. I have been wetting his habitat down and have covered it trying to raise the humidity. since he has started seeming sick. It all started 2 days ago he had one watery eye and was itching it. Washed his eye and gave him a bath. Next day both eyes swollen shut not eating not moving around. By looking on here I learned I was using a bad uvb bulb and shut it off immediately. Also started soaking twice a day in warm water for 30 minutes. He also has a water dish in his habitat. And I'm currently soaking him in baby good carrots and warm water. Is there anything else I can do? If I'm doing the right things how long should it be before he shows improvement? Any help would be wonderful

Killerrookie

Where did you get the tortoise? What bulb were you using and a picture would be very helpful. I'm sorry to hear about your tortoise.

mikeysmomma

80 Is the highest I have gotten it working on getting it to go higher. I got him from petco. The bulb was a cool blub and I will try to add pics

14253280314371624424883.jpg 14253281210011624424883.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeysmomma

This one he just opened but quickly closed

Attachments

• 1425328175818-693042047.jpg
    1425328175818-693042047.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Getting rid of the coil bulb should help the eye problem. Will take a few days. I would keep soaking him in warm water at least once a day until he seems back to normal. The basking spot needs to be around 90-95 for the food to properly digest, this will help his eating. If he can't warm up high enough, he won't eat.

mikeysmomma

Ok thank you so much. Soaking him in the carrots has seems to help also as he has moved around a little since. I'm going to up the bulb in his heat lamp to try and get it warmer in his basking spot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your tortoise isn't a baby. It's an almost full grown tortoise. All of the things you're reading about humidity are for baby tortoises. Your full grown Russian tortoise can get by with just a damp substrate. He doesn't need a humid hide or a closed chamber or a humid environment. Don't use that bulb anymore, get a Mercury Vapor Bulb, and I think you'll start to see an improvement. He needs an area where he can get warmed up to about 100F degrees, with a cooler area where he can adjust his temperature down as needed. Full grown Russian tortoises really do much better living outside.