Swollen eyes & not eating

Pez75

Help please.. I am a new member to the Forum. I have 2 tortoises and have had them for 10 years. They have always been healthy and I have followed the pet stores advice for years now. The bigger of the two tortoises (Shelby is his name) is having problems with his eyes, they are swollen shut. They will open a little but then go right back to being shut. He will not eat and I am worried. This started on Saturday and has only been a few days but am not sure what to do.

I use walnut shells, and feed them kale and tortoise mix daily. Their water is changed daily with calcium drops added in. They have always hibernated and have been just fine.

Any ideas or anything I am doing wrong as I have always followed what the pet stores have told me so am unsure if I am doing the right things.

View attachment 77289 I believe they are Nevada desert tortoises (I live in Vegas) I can take a pic of him and the tank and upload it...

Please help....

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
pet stores are not the best for advice.. :-( what kind of tortoise are they? do they get any outside sunlight? what kind of lights do you use? Vitamin A lack of can cause swollen eyes, so can coil bulbs and dehydration, substrate......

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The first thing that came to mind is that the tort is having its eyes fried....the lamp seems really close for the high intensity uva/uvb that bulb is designed for.....so, I am just going to ramble off what I see here and so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't think that I am picking on you, because I am not :)

Please get rid of that substrate, that is so hazardous and I am surprised that the tort is not impacted.
Please get rid of that water dish, and please stop adding calcium drops to the water--calcium is very bitter so if you adding to the water the tort may not be taking in water as should be because of the taste...also that water dish is originally designed for snakes (that can bend and squirm) not tortoise (torts don't bend and squirm the same as a snake) so it is not a great design for the tort to easily walk in and out of...I would change the dish to a flatter plant saucer.....
Are there two torts in that one enclosure? If yes, wow, I am surprised one has not passed on already--this is a very aggressive, tenacious, territorial species....it is completely not natural for two to be kept in the same space, especially if the space is indoors and not a large space. tortoise do not do well in pairs, not at all---especially this species...you see, torts are not designed/made to desire companionship as some humans do...they will always want the best food, sleeping spot, water hole and anything else that they feel should belong to them...in a pair situation there must be a dominant and a submissive----always. This is the part that creates a problem for one or both...usually one, one will withdraw, will slow to stop eating, will lay about without much activity, will begin to be lethargic more times than not, will eventually become ill, with signs of swollen closed eyes, no desire for food and this slow death usually has been going on for a long period of time before the outward symptoms appear where humans notice "hmmm, something seems off"...

Please separate these two torts if they are indeed in the same space....do you have outdoor yard set up for the torts/

mikeh

5 Year Member
In addition to the above post, below are some more pointers, but the main advice is to do a thorough research on how these animals live, what they eat and what is the ideal indoor environment if they have to be kept indoors temporarily. The set you have is not ideal for the animal to do well in . This animal is clearly suffering. The UVB light looks like Zilla brand, if so get rid of it, it can burn torts eyes. What kind of bulb is inside the dome? Where is your thermometer and humidity monitor? What is the temperatures inside the tank? Without knowing details its hard to tell what's going on. My first two guesses would be UVB light burning the eyes, vitamin A deficiency or both. Can you also clarify, the tortoises hibernated outside but live in the tank inside??? When did the tortoise come out of hibernation? Has it eaten well since then?

Pez75

Omg I'm so sick to my stomach. I never meant to harm or put these guys in harms way. I only went off of what the horrible pet store told me too. I have turned off the bulbs and I will go to the store first thing in the am. I have had these two together for 10 years..this is awful!!! Thank you so much for your help. What type of bedding do you suggest? Also what type of food? Heck for this matter what type of tortoise are they? That have been out if hibernation for some time now, since February.

M

Maggie Cummings

Powersun 100 watts...While you are waiting to get a bulb put a regular incandescent bulb in so they can stay warm. I use find grade Orchid bark, some keepers use coir, it comes in compressed bricks you soak in water and it expands. What species of tortoise are they? You can't take care of them properly if you don't know the species. Add other dark leafy greens to their diet. They need more than just kale and pellets.
If they are kept in the house how did they hibernate?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Post some pictures of your tortoises and we will identify them and point you to the correct diet and habitat info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Since you've had the tortoises for 10 years, that means they aren't babies anymore. They need to be outside. Tortoises are wild animals and do much better outside in the real sunshine.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Please quickly share some picture of your tortoises and enclosure. So we can provide some suggestions. Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What happen to the pic/attachement...? last night I was able to see the pic...the pic that was there last night is of a Desert Tort....there is no way that the two should be in that small small enclosure...please separate them straight away...I am confident that there is no good that will come from them being forced to remain in the same space any longer...just because you have forced them to remain for 10 years together does not mean it is fine....

Pez75

Thank you all so much for your help. I have separated them at the moment and am looking into building them outdoor living spaces. I have changed out their substrate and purchased new water dishes. The only thing I still need is the lighting. Any suggestions on where to get the lighting. I will never return to a retail pet store again. If you have any suggestions on books or links for ideas on how to create an outdoor environment for them would be so helpful!

Thank goodness there is this forum like this for these animals. You all are amazing.

Thanks again

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay so most items you want to purchase you can do online....and here it comes; you can also go to a pet shop to purchase items straight off of the shelf...you can also go to hardware stores, target, walmart---here is the trick, decide what your goal is--research/or ask around for opinions on what options you are thinking of purchasing and then set out to purchase those things...you see, the moment you become educated and equipped with knowledge you no longer have to be at the mercy of someone who knows nothing....

Now, what type of light are you currently using? Are you able to raise the light so it is not so close to the tort? If yes, then that is an option....and once you get that figured out you can do the same set up for the second enclosure....until you get your outdoor set up together....

Predator_proof_tortoise_pen_using_a chain_link_dog_kennel_and_a_heavy_gage_wire_top.jpg Predator_ proof_tortoise_pen.jpg Outdoor_adult_tortoise_pens.jpg Outdoor_adult_Redfoot_pens.jpg

These are just some ideas for you.....of course you will see your own space and own lay out and do what works functionally for the torts as well as you...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What happen to the pic/attachement...? last night I was able to see the pic...the pic that was there last night is of a Desert Tort....there is no way that the two should be in that small small enclosure...please separate them straight away...I am confident that there is no good that will come from them being forced to remain in the same space any longer...just because you have forced them to remain for 10 years together does not mean it is fine....

The op had made several duplicate posts and they deleted them. Unfortunately, one of them was the one with the picture. But if you click on the picture link in the first post, you can still see the picture.

Pez75

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all of the help. I am getting ready to set up the outdoor enclosure. Ascott, thanks for the pics. What do you think about a child's swimming pool for the enclosure? I have all rock in the backyard, so I need to build something or use something that I can fill with substrate, burrows and hiding spots. This seems like it would be efficient and have seen on the internet, but I wanted to ask you guys first. I live in Vegas and our temps are very high, so I don't need any additional lighting/heating correct? Also what do you think about bringing the tort in at night? I am so worried about something happening to her outside. (I know this is the best for her, just scared). In the indoor enclosure I have switched to coco fur/bark mixture but it seems almost too humid. When I make her outdoor enclosure what do you suggest for the substrate? Her temp inside the tank is 80degrees and the humidity seems almost mid-tropical. I don't think that it should be so humid. What should I add to it to bring it to a more desert humid range? Also do you think it would be ok for me to buy dandelions from Home Depot and plant in the outdoor enclosure? And what about sod? I have been reading like a fool and they say that they need grass, well in Vegas it's very hard to have grass, so can I plant a square of sod in the enclosure?
Thanks again for all of your help, you guys rock!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think a kiddy pool is big enough. You can put together a pretty nice habitat using old lumber or cinder blocks. Put something together near an existing fence in partial sun/shade, add some bermuda sod, but make sure it doesn't have plastic webbing in the roots.

Pez75

Ok perfect Yvonne thank you. I am heading to the store soon. What about the dandelions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dandelions are good, but not exclusively