swollen eyes of my indian star tortoise

nikita patil

WP_20150505_007.jpg WP_20150505_005.jpg I have an indian star tortoise.my mom thinks he has some kind of eye issues...plz do help me with this :( ...I made a new account especially for this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What kind of light are you using over the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The eye problem might be be very simple. If you are using a coil type bulb, also called CFL stop using it and throw it out and get a mercury vapor bulb or a regular tube type Flourescent uvb bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if you are using the correct bulbs, then give us info on the enclosures, lighting, humdiity, substrate, etc.

nikita patil

actually I am from India n I thought since its an indian star tortoise he would b Fine with the natural sunlight as its really very very Hot in Mumbai during summers so I gv him regular sunbath for 15 minutes..
ps-he's my first pet and I hv very little knowledge about how to keep them

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome and your right, the sun is the best for him. But 15 minutes is a little short, he could stay outside all day as long as you provide shade. After his 15 minutes, then where does he go? For now, give him a nice long warm water soak and softly run some water iver his eyes incase they have something in them. Hopefully some star owners will have some more ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is indoors, then he needs a light. Being a cold-blooded animal, he needs to be able to sit in the "sun" or light, and warm up his inner core to at LEAST 80F degrees, but warmer is even better. They can't digest their food unless they're really warm on the inside. So even though you live in a hot climate, the ambient air temperature inside the house is not warm enough to get him up where he needs to be to digest his food.

nikita patil

thanks a lot I think I got it where I went wrong after those 15 mins he prefers to sleep in any dark corner of the house for the next 10 hrs..he hates to stay in an enclosed space,tortoise house,he doesn't even allow us to wrap him up with a cloth during winters
I think I should increase the duration from 15 mins to at least 5-6 hrs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but the tortoise needs special care. You can't treat it like a house cat or dog. Please read the care sheet shown at the top of our leopard (same care as star) tortoise section, and provide your star tortoise with the proper habitat, substrate, humidity and lighting. I think once you set it up in a tortoise habitat, you will see an improvement in the eyes. And since he's a cold-blooded animal that needs to get his heat from an exterior source, wrapping him up in a blanket does absolutely no good at all. He can't make himself warm, like you can. He needs heat from outside his body.

Last edited:

S.Seth

Hi !!! Guys I am also from India, Yvonne G is absolutely right, we can not keep "Stars" like we could keep other pets, they really need extra care.
Mine (I have four of them), are not eating properly since last 3-4 days. Though poop is ok types (dark & firm) but there are mostly resting in shade. Temp. is in between 40-44* C and humidity is between 10-20%.

nikita patil

I don't think he has any issue with diet,digestion or defecation...its just about his eyes but now its better.since its very hot these days I thought mayb dehydration cld b a reason so I made him sit in water tub for around 18 mins twice since my post n I cn definitely see some improvement.now m gonna visit the local pet store to get those lights,etc