swollen eyes, shut

morbank

5 Year Member
Hello--
Last Friday one of our tortoises awoke form a short hibernation. Our weather has been quite warm so I wasn't surprised when she came up. However, this time her eyes look swollen. I've soaked her a couple of times yesterday and today in warm water, and today she opened them a little. There is white stuff in them! I can't even describe what it could be? But now they are shut again. I'm going to see if a vet is open tomorrow, but if I can't see one until Monday I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on what I can do in the meantime.

Thank you. -Cindy

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 53

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
My Bob had the same issue. Its the 3rd eye lid catching and getting irritated.
Continue the soaks, but try using the very tip of your finger to drop little drops of water over his eye.
Good luck.

Oh and Bob's eye healed within the week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise needs to be set up in a smaller hospital tank, and warm it up to an all over temp of around 85F degrees. Soak him every day in Gerber strained carrots/water for about a half hour. Monday is a holiday, don't forget.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, the tort needs really good warm water soaks....and the baby food soaks will only do good....any jolt of Vitamin a in the soak is a plus...you can also get a small squeezy bottle to GENTLY flush around the eye with tepid water to help keep them feeling good....

I don't know if I would subject the tort to the stress of the whole vet visit thing....I would do the soaks and keep the temps up to kick the torts immune system in overdrive....