Swollen neck and I'm afraid

Hesham_3del

Hello,

I've this red eared slider turtle since 6 years or more.

Recently, I've seen that her neck is swollen.

Let me elaborate more with youtube videos of my turtle and a photo of nearly identical case of it.

Here are two videos where I was cleaning it with my mother in the sink.

You can notice that her neck is so tall and extended and it wasn't like this before.

And here is the photo I mentioned earlier about the identical case.

http://s498.photobucket.com/user/cypriotbabe1986/media/bubble.jpg.html

Plus, it have this thing "excess meat because of the swollen neck" (But a little, not as excess as it appears in the photo)

http://blogs.hsc.edu/biology/files/2012/07/Lab-pics-B.jpg

On another note, she has been doing this movement and I don't know what it mean by it.

- What is wrong ?
- What wrong I did that caused this swollen neck ?
- How to rescue it and help it to retain the original health it had ?

Thanks in advance for your help and care.

Best Regards,
Hesham

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like the turtle has eaten something too large to swallow completely.

Hesham_3del

Thank you for the reply, Yvonne.

If this is the case, how shall I proceed ?

And if what you said is the case, shouldn't it be dead now ?

Hesham_3del

I've uploaded new videos as I was lucky to capture a video of him to demonstrate well what I want to say (the swollen neck is clear here, or at least this is what I see/mean)

On a side note, when I move away from the kitchen, he starts to go crazy and he only swims like crazy with me only, neither with my mum nor dad. I don't know why, maybe he loves me :D

I'm really afraid and I don't know what is wrong with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a soft shell turtle in an aquarium once a long time ago. I put in 10 small feeder fish thinking they would keep him busy for a few days. Wrong! He gobbled all of them up. He had so many in his stomach that they were backed up through his throat and sticking out his mouth. His neck looked just like your turtle's neck in those pictures. he was eventually able to swallow them.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm having trouble seeing all of your videos - is that little plastic tub in the last three videos where the turtle lives? Does it not have a place to get out of water and a basking light? What were you washing your turtle with in the first videos?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I've never seen that "head-slamming" behavior that you captured. I hate to speculate without really having a good idea what might be going on, but that fact itself makes me think that this might be some sort of neurological issue.

As far as physical issues, the only thing I see is the carapace deformity. Neck looks good from what I can see.

And the frantic swimming behavior is perfectly normal. The turtle knows to associate people with food.