Swollen neck on African spurred tortoise

Deric drop

Hi my spurred tortoise has a bad swollen neck , very fat and can't seem to get his head out. I noticed today so I place him in a warm tub of water to clean him up a bit and that's when he pulled his head in. When his head was out his neck was swelled up so bad it didn't look like he would be able to pull it in however he did and now it appears he can't Push his head back out due to the swollen neck.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I woukd search to see if something could have bitten him. I would also make a vet appointment. @Yvonne G might have an idea of what it could be

Deric drop

Ty for looking and trying to help. I'm gonna get him to the vet tomorrow . Hopefully they can help. Everything I was able to look up today on swelled necks wasn't a good outcome. But I didn't see a pic that was swollen like my tortoise, so I'm still trying to stay positive .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fingers crossed for you and your tort that all will turn out good. Keep us posted. Hopefully others that might have some experience with something like this will come on and give you some help. Good luck

Deric drop

Hope the Vet can help him , please keep us posted on the outcome . Best of luck ! :)

Update on my tort Lola . He had blood work done today will know more in a few days. Neck is still swelled up and there was a clear fluid that the vet had draw out and is testing that as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please let us know the results of the tests. That's how we all learn

Billy Ray

Florida
Please let us know the results of the tests. That's how we all learn
Hi there,
I know this post was from 4 years ago but my female has the same thing. She is abut 100 lbs and eating well . I was wondering what the outcome was of the vet visit. COVID really hit me financially and don't know if I can get her to the ver. Thank you.

Billy Ray

Florida
Hi there,
I know this post was from 4 years ago but my female has the same thing. She is abut 100 lbs and eating well . I was wondering what the outcome was of the vet visit. COVID really hit me financially and don't know if I can get her to the ver. Thank you.