SWOLLEN VENT AREA! ***PLEASE HELP***

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillary

5 Year Member
Hi,
I have a leopard tortoise, about 12 years old and I'm pretty sure she is a female. She has a very nice habitat about 12x15 foot room. It is kept at very low humidity at a good temp. I recently noticed that her tail region (vent) looks swollen and is bulging and its coloring is a sort of blue tent. I am very worried and thought you might have seen something like this before. She has had some pyramiding in the past due to improper diet, but i have had that under control for a few years now. She eats mostly "ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food" and has been dooing very well with it. She hasn't had any health scares until this. I have tried to find out what it could be on the internet but i am not having much luck. Does this sould like bladder stones? I do not have a regular vet that i take her to, i live in NW Arkansas so it is hard to fine good exotic pet vets. If you have any sugestions, it would be very helpful.

Please let me know what you think it could be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Hillary:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

This doesn't sound like something you can take care of at home. You're going to have to find a vet to help you.

In the meantime, place the tortoise into a tub of warm water and just leave her there for a long time. You can put a light over her so the water stays warm, but not directly on her. Use something that she can't climb out of.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome. Can you post a picture. Is she acting normal otherwise?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
If she were mine, i would do warm water soaks followed by a layer of honey, and a trip to the vet asap.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
We have a big list of vets for every state here and you can see if there is any vets close to you. Also pictures would us figure out what it is.

We have a big list of vets for every state here and you can see if there is any vets close to you. Also pictures would us figure out what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.