T Rex Active UV Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

irEric

5 Year Member
I just bought 2 bulbs from lllreptiles, T-Rex active uv heat 100w. Just some question about this bulb since its my first time using them, and i've only heard good things. As instructed by a sticker on the box i'll be putting the bulb 24 inches from the basking spot for the next 72 hours. What i noticed this morning was blueish spot of light. My little tort was basking beside the blue light but not directly in it, as if it would bother him. I checked the temps of his shell, 90F, and the blue light area was around 80F.

The bulb is marked with KJ.

Does this sound regular?

GregUnd

5 Year Member
I would like to know more about this T Rex light you speak of.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Impressive if it's true...but I just can't part with the Powersun...I've reaped too amny benefits from its use!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Does it really say 24 inches? With the 100 Watt MVBs, I am more familiar with seeing a safe distance of 12-18 inches from the substrate (so that at 24 inches it wouldn't get hot enough, which 80 F shows...for a Greek you're probably looking for more like 95 F). I haven't heard of the 24 inches for 72 hours thing...is this just to break in the bulb? I do know that some of the bulbs recommend keeping it on but away from the tort for a couple hours or a day, for it to break in (get the UVB down to a safe level). So, I'd expect you to need to place it between 12-18 inches from the tort to get a good basking temp, but only if the instructions say it is safe to do so. I haven't bought a T-Rex for a year or so. The T-Rex Active UV Heat is supposed to be the same blueprint light as the Mega Rays, but apparently their product shortage is now over? Mega Ray is having some really bad problems with getting bulbs up to their standards, and quite a few shipped out that burn out very early (I had one burn out after 2 weeks).

irEric

5 Year Member
Yeah i believe it is to break in the bulb, since the next instructions are to move it 6 inches closer for the next 48 hours, and then 12 inches from the spot afterwards.

My main concern is the blueish spot of light, if anyone can provide insight on this.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
irEric said:
Yeah i believe it is to break in the bulb, since the next instructions are to move it 6 inches closer for the next 48 hours, and then 12 inches from the spot afterwards.

My main concern is the blueish spot of light, if anyone can provide insight on this.

I have one of the new Trex bulbs as well. Mine also advised the break in period as you mention. I just did that outside the tort enclosure in another ceramic base fixture and used the old bulb until it was primed after the suggested 4-5 day period. I don't recall a bluish spot, though.

M

Maggie Cummings

I also use Trex bulbs. I have 4 new ones and because I have used them for so many years I just put them 12 inches away from the substrate and went about my business. I will read the instructions in the morning after I have dug the box out of the trash. According to my radar gun the temps at substrate level range between 95 and 105 degrees...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes, some people describe the light put out from a MVB as blueish. I haven't seen that with mine though. The light can change color over the first couple weeks as the UVB does its major decay (although it still is supposed to maintain a healthy level for 12 months used 12 hours a day). What temp at the substrate you get with the bulb X inches away depends on room temperature too. If the room temperature or humidity level changes, you need to check the temps again and adjust accordingly. With large enclosures, its likely you need more heat and/or light sources than the one bulb (but likely not another UVB bulb) so you get the majority (or all) above room temperature, as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.