T5 Fixture

dreamspirit12302

This might be a stupid question but if I have a 18" T5 bulb, Will I need a 18" T5 fixture to fit that 18" bulb or a 20"??
Will under the cabinet fixture work with a T5 bulb or no?
Thanks

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just read the box or comments online. The fixture description will answer your question . I would go with the 18 inch fixture most fixtures are size by lamp size .

dreamspirit12302

Will under the cabinet fixture work? I have a 18" under the cabinet one and the 18" T5 bulb won't fit in it.. it's a little bit too long.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are tight but should not be to hard . Some times the tombstones will be tangled forward making a little harder to install . Post a picture of the fixture and lamp in the socket . I may be able to confirm.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Not sure what differentiates an 'under the cabinet' fixture but 18" should fit 18" bulb.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Is this a T5 UVB tube or regular non UVB T5 tube?

For T5 UVB tube you need a T5HO fixture. Standard T5 fixture is not to be used with T5 UVB tubes as they need High Output fixtures to run correctly.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats what I've been screaming! Fixtures go by the size of lamp . If your fixture says four foot t12 you will have to have a four foot t12 lamp .

dreamspirit12302

I'm a newbie, I bought a T5 HO bulb.. I didn't realize it was a HO.. So, I'm assuming it needs a high output fixture and a under the cabinet is not going to work?

Ok, So I'm looking and I see it's going to need a 20" HO T5 fixture to fit the 18" bulb size

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep you figured out your problem . Thats an altogether different fixture . I would return the lamp and buy a 10.0 t5 fixture combination from Petco or off line .

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: T5 Fixture

dreamspirit12302 said:
I'm a newbie, I bought a T5 HO bulb.. I didn't realize it was a HO.. So, I'm assuming it needs a high output fixture and a under the cabinet is not going to work?

Ok, So I'm looking and I see it's going to need a 20" HO T5 fixture to fit the 18" bulb size

No worries, things can get confusing with all the T tubes out there.

Now we know its a T5HO tube, but is it UVB? If yes, is it 5% or 10% UVB, what kind of tortoise is it for and how are you setting it up? At what height?

Weather the T5HO fixture you are looking to get is 18" or 20" it needs to specify that it fits 18" tube.

dreamspirit12302

mikeh said:
dreamspirit12302 said:

Now we know its a T5HO tube, but is it UVB? If yes, is it 5% or 10% UVB, what kind of tortoise is it for and how are you setting it up? At what height?

Yes, It is a UVB.. This is the bulb I got off ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111177902951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's for a Russian Tortoise and not sure what height I should put it at? He is going to be in a 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure. I'm also going to be growing some plants in there as well.

Weather the T5HO fixture you are looking to get is 18" or 20" it needs to specify that it fits 18" tube.

dreamspirit12302

dreamspirit12302 said:
mikeh said:
dreamspirit12302 said:

Yes, It is a UVB.. This is the bulb I got off ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111177902951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's for a Russian Tortoise and not sure what height I should put it at? He is going to be in a 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure. I'm also going to be growing some plants in there as well. I'm having a heck of a time finding a cheaper fixture to support the T5 HO output for a 18" bulb.. All I'm finding is aquarium fixtures which can run at the cheapest around $70.

mikeh

5 Year Member
That is not a UVB tube. It is a tube specifically for growing plants. It will not provide needed UVB to your tortoise.

If you are looking for UVB tube, Zoomed Reptisun T5HO 5% or 10% UVB is recommended. For 2x4 enclosure, 34" tube in a 36"fixture is an ideal size. Some places have a free 5% UVB tube included with a fixture purchase.

5% tube should be 12-13" above the tortoise, 10% tube17-18"

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CIipruXk8bwCFa9FMgodCXYARA

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CIipruXk8bwCFa9FMgodCXYARA