Tail differences between female and male hatchlings.

Lalaruth

Question, I was told my tortoise is a female by the breeder but ‘she’ seems to twist her tail sideways sometimes, is that an early sign that she’s a he? IMG_9001.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No not really. The breeder shouldn't have tried telling you the sex. A good breeder that knows what they are talking about would never try to sex a baby. Even sex temp hatched is no guarantee. You just have too wait till its older. If I had too guess now I'd say male, but that's strictly a guess as it's too young.

Lalaruth

No not really. The breeder shouldn't have tried telling you the sex. A good breeder that knows what they are talking about would never try to sex a baby. Even sex temp hatched is no guarantee. You just have too wait till its older. If I had too guess now I'd say male, but that's strictly a guess as it's too young.

I know .... I have a hunch it might be a male .... bummer ! I really preferred a female cause I wanted to have a better ratio of two fems to one male...still keeping fingers crossed. I still love Myrtle or Milton whatever it is . This baby has endeared to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Females are harder too come by. For sure don't put two males with one female. They will try breeding her to illness or death. Too stressful for the female. I could still turn out your way, wait and see.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The only way to sex a baby is to open it up and look inside. Surgical sexing.

Sounds like you met a breeder that valued a sale more than they valued their integrity. Or they might just not know better. Or maybe they know something we don't.

It would be great if the third option were true. Then we'd all be able to sex our hatchlings without surgery, and I wouldn't think poorly of the breeder.

Lalaruth

Sounds like you met a breeder that valued a sale more than they valued their integrity. Or they might just not know better. Or maybe they know something we don't.

It would be great if the third option were true. Then we'd all be able to sex our hatchlings without surgery, and I wouldn't think poorly of the breeder.

Wow! That is [emoji20] sad if he did that. I think I made it clear that I was looking for a female to make my other female comfortable and less likely to be over mounted by my male , so far he hasn’t mounted her at all but it’s gonna happen I know .. I’m hoping for your last opinion cause he seemed like a super nice guy. .... I’m not a breeder and I have no intentions of interest in breeding by the way.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
My baby Hermanns used to look very male for the first few years (at least in my opinion). Now they are 4 years old and suddenly started to look female. It's giving me hope :p but it will be another year or two until I can be sure.

Lalaruth

My baby Hermanns used to look very male for the first few years (at least in my opinion). Now they are 4 years old and suddenly started to look female. It's giving me hope :p but it will be another year or two until I can be sure.

FINGERS CROSSED![emoji51]

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria

I've seen a breeder that was very good at sexing her own Hermann's hatchlings (not others!) and she was almost always right. But she had only one breeding pair and had studied their offspring for many years. So maybe there really is some kind of difference you might see with lots of experience? I don't know.

Lalaruth

I've seen a breeder that was very good at sexing her own Hermann's hatchlings (not others!) and she was almost always right. But she had only one breeding pair and had studied their offspring for many years. So maybe there really is some kind of difference you might see with lots of experience? I don't know.

It happens ....

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
They totally need to invent a scanner that can read a reptile and determine the sex, like a temp gun only it reads back "male" or "female." Zoo Med could make a fortune if they invented something like that.

T.G.