Taking a Greek Hermann’s for walks

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi dear tort owners!

I don’t own a tortoise yet, but I’ll be adopting a Greek Hermann’s in a few weeks/months.

Is it okay to take your tortoise for walks? Won’t it be stressed out in a new environment or getting him out of his enclosure?

I’d love to take him/her out on walks near the side roads, in a forest or a park. Who walks their tortoise? I’d love to see pictures!

Also, do you recommend using a leash? Or is it not neccessary?

Thanks in advance!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A quick answer is no, not really practical or a good idea. Tortoises pretty much go where they want to go, when the want to go, but not for traditional “walkies” like a dog. Much safer & best to build a nice enclosure with all the right grasses, plants, water source for your tort to wander about on it’s own, get sunshine & shade when it needs. Taking your tort for walks will induce a lot of unwarranted stress.

Good luck

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a no on walks from me too. Your tortoise would appreciate being able to walk around in a nice, big, cozy enclosure, rather than being taken to random, unknown, locations. Besides you'd be surprised how fast they can disappear. All it would take is you getting distracted for just a moment and your tortoise is gone.

Bee62

Germany
Hi dear tort owners!

I don’t own a tortoise yet, but I’ll be adopting a Greek Hermann’s in a few weeks/months.

Is it okay to take your tortoise for walks? Won’t it be stressed out in a new environment or getting him out of his enclosure?

I’d love to take him/her out on walks near the side roads, in a forest or a park. Who walks their tortoise? I’d love to see pictures!

Thanks in advance!
Hi, torts don`t like changes in their environment. When you have a garden create a safe place ( safe against predators like dogs and birds ) for your tort and let him or her live outside the summer long. With a heated little "greenhouse" for colder days and nights a Hermmann`s tortoise will be fine outside ! Much better than taking the tortoise for walks.

The Netherlands
A quick answer is no, not really practical or a good idea. Tortoises pretty much go where they want to go, when the want to go, but not for traditional “walkies” like a dog. Much safer & best to build a nice enclosure with all the right grasses, plants, water source for your tort to wander about on it’s own, get sunshine & shade when it needs. Taking your tort for walks will induce a lot of unwarranted stress.

Good luck

Thanks a lot for your input!

The Netherlands
That's a no on walks from me too. Your tortoise would appreciate being able to walk around in a nice, big, cozy enclosure, rather than being taken to random, unknown, locations. Besides you'd be surprised how fast they can disappear. All it would take is you getting distracted for just a moment and your tortoise is gone.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!

The Netherlands
Hi, torts don`t like changes in their environment. When you have a garden create a safe place ( safe against predators like dogs and birds ) for your tort and let him or her live outside the summer long. With a heated little "greenhouse" for colder days and nights a Hermmann`s tortoise will be fine outside ! Much better than taking the tortoise for walks.

Thanks a lot for you reply. Good to know all of this. I want to be prepared as possible before getting this sweet little thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's important for you to know which species of tortoise you're getting. There is the Greek - Testudo graeca, then there is the Hermanns - Testudo hermanni. We have care sheets for both species pinned at the tops of our species specific sections.

I agree with what's been said above. No walks.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's important for you to know which species of tortoise you're getting. There is the Greek - Testudo graeca, then there is the Hermanns - Testudo hermanni. We have care sheets for both species pinned at the tops of our species specific sections.

I agree with what's been said above. No walks.
Taking your Tortoise outside of your own yard presents the possibility of poisoning from herbicides, pesticides, and poisonous plants. You will simply enjoy every minute watching your Tortoise cruise around his own safe yard.

Redwood City, CA, United States
Somebody better explain that to my beautiful Dartanian. We've been doing it practically every day for almost 6 years now. We go to the beach...park... Relax on the lawn for our local music on the square. He appears to enjoy it so much that one day when a worker left our gate open...a family saw him walking up the sidewalk heading to the park by himself so they scooped him up for me. He knows where he wants to go? and except for that one escape time he's always stayed right at my heal when we go walkies.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-20-12-03-18_1563651173437.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-20-12-03-18_1563651173437.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2019-08-30-23-27-13.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-30-23-27-13.png
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2020-02-17-04-02-11(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-02-17-04-02-11(1).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_2019-07-20-12-03-18_1563651173437.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-20-12-03-18_1563651173437.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2019-08-30-23-27-13.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-30-23-27-13.png
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2020-02-17-04-02-11.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-17-04-02-11.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Quadro

SC
Hi dear tort owners!

Thanks in advance!
I agree on the no . I used to go to this one beautiful place for walks with my dogs and it would be a great place for a tortoise forest like and a small stream canopy of trees but in reality there was a lot of hazards that surprised me even taken dogs. There was dogs running off leash from houses close by so that definitely wouldn’t be good for a wandering tortoise even if you were close by stuff can happen really fast and I seen a rattlesnake shed very bad for the tortoise who walks up on that . Not to mention they spray stuff for weeds in most parks . I would just create a humble abode fit for a king or queen tort and watch them in a controlled safe environment it’s cool watching them when you give them enrichment in the enclosures ! I know mind do I’d watch them for hours if I could ! Congratulations on your new little one !

The Netherlands
Somebody better explain that to my beautiful Dartanian. We've been doing it practically every day for almost 6 years now. We go to the beach...park... Relax on the lawn for our local music on the square. He appears to enjoy it so much that one day when a worker left our gate open...a family saw him walking up the sidewalk heading to the park by himself so they scooped him up for me. He knows where he wants to go? and except for that one escape time he's always stayed right at my heal when we go walkies.

Wow, these pictures are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I love the one on the beach, what a gorgeous tort! This kinda gives me exciting tingles to bring my future tort on walkies too. I wish you all the best with your beautiful Dartanian ?

Quadro

SC
Hi dear tort owners!

Thanks in advance!
[/Quote=
I used to go to this one beautiful place for walks with my dogs and it would be a great place for a tortoise forest like and a small stream canopy of trees but in reality there was a lot of hazards that surprised me even taken dogs. There was dogs running off leash from houses close by so that definitely wouldn’t be good for a wandering tortoise even if you were close by stuff can happen really fast and I seen a rattlesnake shed very bad for the tortoise who walks up on that . Not to mention they spray stuff for weeds in most parks . I would just create a humble abode fit for a king or queen tort and watch them in a controlled safe environment it’s cool watching them when you give them enrichment in the enclosures ! I know mind do I’d watch them for hours if I could ! Congratulations on your new little one !