Taking Darwin to the Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate New York
About a few days ago I noticed a few drips and bubbles being blown out of Darwin's nose. I wiped his face, gave him a nice warm bath and put him back into his enclosure for breakfast. His nose seemed to be slightly runny most of they day but he was as active as ever and his appetite good.

This morning I woke up, turned on his lights and checked on his face. Today, it was covered in thick, sticky mucus all the way down to his beak. I wiped it all away, placed him in his basking area, where he woke up to wait for his breakfast. He ate well and I gave the vet a call as I'm thinking poor Darwin has URI. His appointment is later today.

At first I thought it was just something minor as I changed his substrate from fir bark chips to Eco-Earth. I'm so worried, I should've called the vet when I first saw symptoms but I honestly believed it was due to the substrate change. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope all is okay. Be sure to keep his temps warmer then normal if he does have a uri. Also, any time they seem to have a runny nose, raise their temps by about 5 degrees for a while. Lots of times that will take care of it.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Thanks Wellington! I'll up the temp, didn't even think about that. :)

So, the vet visit went pretty well.

She checked out a few scratches and notches on his shell. Nothing serious.
Took him in the back to get some x-rays and came back with some fairly good news. There is some mucus in his lungs but thankfully, we caught it while it is still in the early stages so it is treatable.

She prescribed me Orbax (orbifloxacin) for him take orally for 3 weeks. If he is uncooperative, I was told to call back and she would prescribe an injection medication.

After two hours at the vets office and being a trooper and taking his meds, he is now sleeping soundly. Poor baby kept on trying to fall asleep at the office but was constantly interrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.