Taking Milo from AC inside to 85 F outside ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj4shee

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am new to owning a Russian Tortoise.... I have read up on caring for them but still have a question I cannot find an answer for.....

I created a wire cage (all 6 sides) for outside - so Milo can enjoy some freedom... and some of those nice dandelions in the yard... but was wondering how much stress it is putting on him...

Basically, he is going from inside at 71 degrees F to outside at 85+ degrees..... Is this ok for him to endure such a quick temperature change ?

Thanks, TJ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi TJ:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

I see something wrong with the way you are caring for Milo, and I hope you will take my criticism in good faith. I don't mean to upset you, I'm only thinking of Milo's health.

In the first place, your tortoise shouldn't be living in such cool conditions. When he's in the house, he needs a light over his habitat that keeps it very warm inside. It should be at least 85 degrees. Once you have the light set up and keep his indoor habitat warm, then taking him outside will no longer be a problem.

Russian tortoises are pretty cold hardy, but that doesn't mean that they should have cool temps all the time. They need to be at least 85 degrees all the time in order to digest their food.

How about some pictures for us. I'd love to see your little Milo. Russian tortoises are great little tortoises!

tj4shee

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne for the reply.... absolutely NO offense or emotion taken ! Anything I can do to make Milo's life better is very welcome advice.

I do have a UVB bulb in the cage.... but my guess is that it isn't doing enough to increase the temp to 85..... I actually read (wrong info ?) that Russian Tortoises liked the range of 70-85.... but after reading that, I have yourself and several others telling me that it should be 85-90.

So its off to Petsmart this afternoon to get a heat lamp......

Milo's inside setup is actually a dog kennel - with a mix of sand and ground coconut shells on the bottom.... and a 1/2 log shell for a hut - with a water/soaking 'bowl' and a bowl for dry food..... I also put a cuttle bone in the cage for when he eventually decides he/she needs calcium.

He has eaten dandelion leaves and "Spring Mix" salad in the last few days that I have had him....

Pics coming..... I will look for the correct place in the forum if there is one....

Thanks Again... any additional comments you have from what I wrote above would be welcome.

TJ

Oh... I am in Lexington KY.....

Status
Not open for further replies.