Taking the pricks out of prickly cactus.

JanelP

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Has anybody grown them from a seed? Somebody local to me is selling seeds on eBay, I’m wondering how long it takes from seed?
Takes lots of patience... lots. These were grown from seed and about a year old. Cacti grow s..l..o..w... ;)
In fact I can't show you any more progress, about 6 months later my cats knocked it off the table and I quit watering it. I'm tempted to dig it out of the shed and see if they come back with some water...lol....
IMG_20170325_193036.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Takes lots of patience... lots. These were grown from seed and about a year old. Cacti grow s..l..o..w... ;)
In fact I can't show you any more progress, about 6 months later my cats knocked it off the table and I quit watering it. I'm tempted to dig it out of the shed and see if they come back with some water...lol....
View attachment 239342

Wow that is 1 years growth.... I don’t think I’ll try it lol I’ll get bored waiting

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
At the risk of sounding to retail, I do sell dehydrated cactus. Shelf life for me has been over a year, and you use it as you need it. Super convenient.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/dried-mulberry-leaf-usda-certified-organic.166133/

My turnover is approaching the need to buy another dehydrater, many people are using it these days. My best week is three full batches at about 12 pounds fresh down to a little over one pound dried.

In 2015 I gave away 100's of one ounce sample. Most people who cared to share a review thought their tortoises did okay with it.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
At the risk of sounding to retail, I do sell dehydrated cactus. Shelf life for me has been over a year, and you use it as you need it. Super convenient.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/dried-mulberry-leaf-usda-certified-organic.166133/

My turnover is approaching the need to buy another dehydrater, many people are using it these days. My best week is three full batches at about 12 pounds fresh down to a little over one pound dried.

In 2015 I gave away 100's of one ounce sample. Most people who cared to share a review thought their tortoises did okay with it.

Would you ship to the U.K. ?

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Go to your Latin supermarket they sell them for eating. Mine do have very few if any glochids on them, I handle them with my bare hands and only once had one in my skin. I planted a few pots with them and they grow like crazy,

At my local Latin market, spineless cacti are called nopales.

JanelP

Idaho
We buy the ones for eating at the dollar store. 5 good size pads for a buck. Nothing pokey on them.
I had no idea the dollar store would have them..... I'm going to have to check this out.
I find its hard to get stuff in Idaho in general.

KarenMitchell

Santa Clarita, Ca
I get them at the dollar store too. I Found a neigbor with some growing strong so I put a few pads in dirt and they root fast and have new pads 1 month after planting. Some are growing faster than others depending on soil and sun.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Has anybody grown them from a seed? Somebody local to me is selling seeds on eBay, I’m wondering how long it takes from seed?
I bought some seeds about three months ago. And I didn't have any luck, but then that could just have been me. Who knows. I eventually took some offcuts from my brothers farm and stuck them in my garden. They haven't grown any new shoots yet, but they haven't died either. I haven't managed to find any spineless one's here in Cape Town yet. But the little pieces that I have taken off the cuttings I took, I have just taken a knife and peeled them. As I would hate for my little ones to get any of the thorns stuck in their throat or anywhere else for that matter.