Taking tortoise to a back yard

KimC90

5 Year Member
So now that the weather is getting warmer I want to start taking Dwight to my cousins and my friends yards to let him have some time to walk around and explore. I know he's going to eat everything in sight.
What precautions should I take before taking him to a yard? See if they fertalize? See when the last time they fertalize was? Find out what kind of grass they have?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
You should definitely find out if they have fertilized their yard or if they have had it fertilized by a service company in the past year. If they haven't then it is probably ok, but if there is any question or if they are uncertain about it then don't risk it.

KimC90

5 Year Member
So I obviously wouldn't let Dwight go chew on a random bush or flower but the general grass would be okay?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Taking tortoise to a back yard

The best thing would be a portable enclosure. Just some walls you can set up quickly. A tortoise can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You have to know if they have used pesticides on the lawn. That stuff will be toxic to him.

How big is Dwight? They really can "disappear" from your sight quicker than you'd think. I'll watch my 8" leopard cruise around his yard, look away for a second, look up and he's gone. It sometimes takes me a minute to locate him. And he's safely confined to his yard! I can't imagine if there were no walls or safe border.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Grass can also contain fertilizer/pesticides/insecticides just as any other part of the yard...so yes, I would make sure that they don't use any of these things as well as make sure none has been used for at least a year....if they have a gardner, I would bet they have used some type of spray....

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
You should definitely find out if they have fertilized their yard or if they have had it fertilized by a service company in the past year. If they haven't then it is probably ok, but if there is any question or if they are uncertain about it then don't risk it.
Regarding fertilizer: We are planning a yard for our RT this summer. I have his enclosure ready to set-up, and was going to dig the grass out because a few months ago we had granules laid down for pests. Will this be enough or do I need to wait a year before allowing her outside? Thanks Cheryl

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regarding fertilizer: We are planning a yard for our RT this summer. I have his enclosure ready to set-up, and was going to dig the grass out because a few months ago we had granules laid down for pests. Will this be enough or do I need to wait a year before allowing her outside? Thanks Cheryl
What kind of granules for what kind of pests? Insects or rodents?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Does the granules matter? I've been keeping yoshi inside RT because of insect granules in our yard that we put down every 3 months.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some members use kiddies paddling pools as temporary enclosures so they can still get uvb but be safe, and they should be supervised and have shade. Have a look at the Enclosures thread there may be examples in there.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have the perfect portable pen for small and med torts that I use for my hatchlings. Found 16” square wire snap together shelf panels. Zip tied them end to end and cut off the bottom wire. This leaves 1-1/2 spikes sticking out the bottom that are stuck in the ground.
IMG_3539.jpg
Supposed to be this
IMG_3540.jpg
This is what I use, setting upside down. Spike end into the ground. Gets moved to the best weeds

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
This is what I use but if you think your yard isn’t safe because of how it is treated, this won’t work.

Attachments

• 7F72FCB5-B296-42DE-921F-620ED52DC472.jpeg
    7F72FCB5-B296-42DE-921F-620ED52DC472.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Thank you all for your help, I've decided to keep her in her pen in the house until I can get one made for her without contamination possibilities.