Talk to me about water needs of a box turtle

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
So I know that box turtles can swim to some extent. Do they need/should they have a swimming area or it a water bowl adequate? If they need a swimming area, how do I do it in an indoor enclosure? How deep should it be?
TIA!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Box turtles really, really enjoy sitting in the water. Indoors you can use a paint tray sunk down into the substrate. Or even one of the larger plant saucers sunk down into the substrate. If you have a baby box turtle it is even more important. Because of their small size they dehydrate quickly and need to be soaked daily. I have a teeny tiny baby box turtle and every morning when the light comes on he goes for a dip in the water all on his own. If he didn't, I would force soak him.

oneeyedClyde

We have a dog food bowl in Gladys' box for her to soak in... she stays in it all the time! She only comes out to eat. I will attach a picture of Gladys' box... I refresh it every day because she enjoys pooping in it.

Attachments

• 1388798323369.jpg
    1388798323369.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 94

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
oneeyedClyde said:
We have a dog food bowl in Gladys' box for her to soak in... she stays in it all the time! She only comes out to eat. I will attach a picture of Gladys' box... I refresh it every day because she enjoys pooping in it.

Nice boxie. However, that enclosure is way too small. The dish looks high sided, she can get into it by herself? I would make her a much larger enclosure, even if it's just her winter one. Maybe attach another box onto the one she has.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
my box turtle doesn't seem to like swimming very much. i originally had a plant tray for her water but she never used it and it took up space so i replaced it with a large plant saucer that's still deep enough to soak in. i don't see her use it much (water is hardly dirty) but every other day i just put her in it and every time she dunks her head under and takes a long drink :) test it out and see!

oneeyedClyde

It is deep, it's a dog bowl. She gets in and out easily. She's a big girl. We let her out to walk around outside when it's warm. Or play in the garden

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
My ornate Mildred LOVES the water-and would stay in it most of the day if she didn't have to come out to eat[/align]. She is quite the swimmer! My problem is the deeper it is, the better she likes it, but she is still a baby so I try to keep something she cant tip herself over getting out of. :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
MildredsMommy said:
My ornate Mildred LOVES the water-and would stay in it most of the day if she didn't have to come out to eat[/align]. She is quite the swimmer! My problem is the deeper it is, the better she likes it, but she is still a baby so I try to keep something she cant tip herself over getting out of. :D

There are youtube videos on how to create a water dish that goes deep and sloops up to allow egress from all sides. Really a neat idea that I am planning on implementing as soon as it warms up. My babies love their soaks and swim like little red ears.

To answer the TC's question, I agree with everyone on here. You must provide a swimmable area for boxies of all types and ages. They are considered by many to be semi-aquatic. I have found almost as many in water as I have on the road out in the "wild", lol.