Tall Fescue Mix Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Can a red foot tort eat "Tall Fescue Mix" grass?

Thank you...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cam,
RF really don't eat much grass, ‘attempting to sustain a Red-foot tortoise on a diet of mixed grasses would not be advisable; this species is ill equipped to effectively metabolize large quantities of silica-rich grass.’
Instead try; Grape Leaves, Hibiscus(blooms & leaves), Dandelion Greens, Curly Endive(not belgian)/Chicory, Escarole and Collard Greens.
Fruits only such as Strawberry, cantaloupe, apricots, black plum are the best plum, peach, pineapple, prickly pear cactus(pads and fruit). Avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons..too high acid..especially tomatoes. "Seldom" Bananas!!! One or two bites per month!
Check out www.Redfoots.com
also check out http://tortoiseforum.org/need-some-info-help-t-3558.html

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you for the reply...
I also read the reply in the other thread...great information.

These guys seem a lot more complex than the Greek we have.
Everytime I think a Yellow or Redfoot or Sulcatta would be neat I read a thread about them and think...nope...best left to those with more knowledge;)

But they sure a neat torts!

Thanks again!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Don't let the threads scare you. If you follow a few basic rules Rf's are tough as nails. I kept a trio for thirty years with little knowledge to start with and gained knowledge from them and round about research (not much on RF's themselves). In the last 10 or 15 years there has been an explosion of info on them (thank you Terry and others). The biggest key to their care is they are forest animals with an omnivarious diet (which in my eyes is a plus) who love mud.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cam I totally agree with Larry. I too was afraid of the care a RF might need. Now that I have had one (only babysitting for over a month now) I found it was really as easy as my Greeks with a few tweeks here and there. Thank you Terry K. of Turtletary.com and Redfoots.com. I think the biggest key to any torts care is doing your research. Picking a plan of care and sticking too it. I chose Terrys because it showed me the before during and after pics. "I am a believer a pic can speak a thousand words.:" And Terrys Pics did it for me. Someday I hope to have some RF of my own.

And thanks Cam for the reply to Peskys Post. And for trying to help by placing it here.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Don't forget the Papaya, redfoots adore this fruit. Just make sure to remove the seeds as they are like sandspurs when the fruit is off of them and can cause impactions. Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.