Taming tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Hey yall!
I was curious, does anyone have some fun taming tips to share with me? Mookie-Boo, my Ibera Greek, he's a few months old... I've had him almost a month. He's still shy, though. Is this just because he's a hatchling, or what? I've been finger feeding & taking him out to crawl about, & explore... But the first noise or movement, he jumps back in his shell, & hides for about 15sec before peeping out again... I was just curious if anyone has any one has any taming tips to share... I'm scared he's going to be skittish, & I don't want that for him! He comes out after I baby talk him, but the next noise, he's back in again... :l is this normal for his age? I would love to hear some taming tips from the experienced owners here. :) thanks yall!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if this has anything to do with the way my leopard is, but he is so not shy. I used to always kiss his face, like a lot, touch his legs and feet and pet his head. I would also hold him right upto my face and talk to him, as i was kissing his cute little face. The only time he pulls in is if I am walking upto him and he doesn't know I'm coming. He doesn't stay in long, then pops out quickly, almost as if he said to himself, self, it's mom, duh:D

Btw, he is 2 1/2 now and I still do all,the above, just not as much as when he lived inside and was younger.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Taming tips?

wellington said:
I don't know if this has anything to do with the way my leopard is, but he is so not shy. I used to always kiss his face, like a lot, touch his legs and feet and pet his head. I would also hold him right upto my face and talk to him, as i was kissing his cute little face. The only time he pulls in is if I am walking upto him and he doesn't know I'm coming. He doesn't stay in long, then pops out quickly, almost as if he said to himself, self, it's mom, duh:D

Btw, he is 2 1/2 now and I still do all,the above, just not as much as when he lived inside and was younger.

Awe! Sounds like me & my babies! My beardies love kisses, & people get on me about it... They need affection too! I haven't done it to Mook yet... Trying not to overwhelm him. Lol. But I rub his shell, & his legs & head every chance I get.. he shoots up in his shell at first, but then seems to enjoy his head being rubbed. :D he is ticklish, I'm thinking... He wiggles a lot when I touch his feet & nails. Lol. He goes to sleep on me every night, though.. trying to get him situated with the pattern I have with the rest of the clan. :) but he'll shut his eyes & lay his head on me, when I rub his head. ^.^ I think that's his favourite! Lol! Thanks for sharing. :b

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Something to keep in mind, Mookie is still a hatchling. At a younger age, they tend to do more of the burrowing and hiding due to predators. Its in their instinct. So give it some time. My Shelby took month and months... I mean nearly a year. Now i can have her walk around the house and she wont be hiding too much. She even climbs on me! The beauty of owning a tortoise is that you really get to watch them grow. Slowly but it feels more rewarding. Patients is the key.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Okie-dokie. :) I see now... I reckon I'm used to winning over animals quickly. :) I guess this is kindve like when I've had baby lizards (beardies, geckos & chameleons)... The chammies were fairly quick. Beardies a few aid to months, & gecko took Bout 6mos. So... Yeah. I have never even seen a tortie in person, until I opened that box from Turtle Source. So, this is all new to me! I took some new pictures, & will be posting tomorrow. :) phone is all but dead right now. MOOK-MOOK ACCEPTS KISSES! Hahahaha. I learned that tonight. :) when they said "watch your tort grow & come up for food & cuddles" eat... Something similar... & they said "soon" in it... I guess I figured soon as in puppy/dog soon, since they're supposed to be "dog tame/like".... So, I guess I was expecting a quick winover!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

*misskerrimoo* said:
Okie-dokie. :) I see now... I reckon I'm used to winning over animals quickly. :) I guess this is kindve like when I've had baby lizards (beardies, geckos & chameleons)... The chammies were fairly quick. Beardies a few aid to months, & gecko took Bout 6mos. So... Yeah. I have never even seen a tortie in person, until I opened that box from Turtle Source. So, this is all new to me! I took some new pictures, & will be posting tomorrow. :) phone is all but dead right now. MOOK-MOOK ACCEPTS KISSES! Hahahaha. I learned that tonight. :) when they said "watch your tort grow & come up for food & cuddles" eat... Something similar... & they said "soon" in it... I guess I figured soon as in puppy/dog soon, since they're supposed to be "dog tame/like".... So, I guess I was expecting a quick winover!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

*ECT, not eat. Lol. Autocorrect strikes again!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Yeah always keeps us posted. From what I'm seeing, it's the two of us who mainly post things up in the greek section. Lol! Lets keep it going! Woo!!!!!

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Well, so be it! We shall conquer the Greek forum! :B Hahaha! I just posted new Piccies of Mook in his introduction thread. :) "meet my Mookie-Boo!" Go see, gooo seeee! ;D

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Status
Not open for further replies.