Tank Escaped!!!

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Big 'ol bulldozer! Went right through the fence. I guess he decided he was gonna go cruise. I've been working 12-16hr shifts for 4 days straight and haven't been home to let him out of his pen. So.... he decided to do it himself!
Guess I'm building the new pen sooner rather than later!!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401658982.376861.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is that one of those plastic type fences? You found him right away, correct?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
It's made of iron. It has managed to hold him in for a couple months while I try to plan his permanent enclosure. But I normally let him out to roam the big back yard at least every other day. It was a very strong fence! We tested it, anchored and bolted it. I was certain the fence wouldn't go down, but i guess he figured out how to just go straight through… and yes he was found right away roaming the backyard. I'm off tomorrow and he's gonna get some TLC!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
WOW...

It is a Tank alright! ! ! Just glad ho did not get hurt and was quickly found.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow. I have one of those type fences, didn't think it would be that easy to go through. He really wanted his roam of the bigger yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HA! I told you so!!!!! (Laughing with you, not at you. All in good humor.)

Seriously though, when people warn of the strength, tenacity and destructiveness of sulcatas, THIS is what we are talking about.

Glad everybody is okay and not hurt. Well, except the fence...

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you ever install fencing similar to this again, check to be sure to have the vertical rails on the inside. If you look at where he broke out, and the other bits of vertical rail, the vertical rails are facing on the outside of the horizontal bars.
Had your fence panels been reversed, it would have slowed him down - but no guarantee that he wouldn't have broken out! Good luck.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Yeah, no I gave up on the "pen" months ago. Now we've just done extra work to secure our backyard, it's 1/2 acre, and he has free roam of it. I'll have to post some pics of his "new" home. ;)
Thanks for posting. I have that same gate. I guess I will be upgrading that. The Sudans have full run of my yard and haven't really showed interest in the gate or fence but I don't want to wait till they do.