Tanking fish and turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtoise

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I'm totally new to this pet thing. I know that I have a 5 gallon tank and 10 gallon tank.

5g is for my 2 red ear sliders and my 10g is for my 5 goldfishes for my daughter...

SO!

Can I just merge the 2 species into a new 20g tank? Or should they be separate at all times?

I've bought adequate lighting for the my 2 sliders but I wonder if goldfish need lighting? Also, I don't like to get anything live to feed my sliders so I have been feeding them pellets. Is there anything else I can feed them that is in my price range? (it's low)

Thanks!!

turtoise

5 Year Member
wow.. very educational. thanks! i guess i shouldnt let the turtles see the goldfish then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Turtoise:

746580cgdj3go097.gif

to the forum!!

Your user name is actually part of my email address!! Great minds think alike and all that. LOL!

Gold fish are said to be high in copper sulfate, and eating too many fish can be harmful to your turtles. Red ears will eat almost anything. I feed mine pieces of zucchini, pellets, bits of chicken, worms, crickets, pond plants...they especially LOVE water hyacinth.

While turtles can be housed indoors, it is much easier to keep them outdoors. Even in a child's wading pool that you can dump and change often. They quickly outgrow any aquarium you can keep them in.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Hi and welcome!!!

Goldfish really are not what sliders should eat, as Yvonne said. They are very fatty, high in copper sulfate, thiaminase, and can carry diseases and parasites. However the sliders don't know that, lol, and WILL eat the fish eventually.

You are going to need bigger aquariums for all your pets. Goldfish that are "fancy" varieties (fantails, etc.) need about 10 gallons PER FISH. Pond types (single tails) such as comets, commons, and shubunkins need 30-40 gallons per fish!!! You need a minimum 55 gallon tank for those goldies to live to their full potential. The old adage that fish only grow to the size of their environment is wrong, and cruel. They become stunted, their bodies stop growing and their organs do not. They eventually die a pretty painful death. Average life span for a pet goldfish is about 2 years - they can live to be more than 25 years old if cared for properly.

Sliders are another pet that needs a lot of space. Females can reach the size of a dinner plate in a few short years. Your sliders are going to need a 75 gallon or bigger tank, and have a life span of 50 years or more.

Both goldfish and turtles require a LOT of filtration, 3X more than the volume of the tank at least. So, if you have a 55 gallon tank, you need 165 gallons worth of filters!

Hope this helps. I have goldfish myself, including a couple fantails that are 9 years old, 12+ inches long and weigh about 5 lbs each. I can certainly help with any questions on care, so do not hesitate to ask.

Kristina

turtoise

5 Year Member
wow.. great help.. thanks u 2..

yes.. great minds do thnk alike yvonne lol

Status
Not open for further replies.