taracotta (sp) bowls

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
Where is everyone getting theirs? I have looked and looked and cant find them any where the flower pots are everywhere but not the saucers :( Please help me find them lol

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
I wanted to stay away from glazed ones but didn't know if it really mattered to much

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
are they glazed?

~ They actually have both, we only use the glazed ones. Once the glaze is scratched off they are very difficult to keep clean. Use a rag only, nothing abrasive when cleaning and it last a long time.
DSCN8628.JPG

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
i looked at Walmart and lows with no luck but they are out of season so I am going to look online would you say 4" for a 2 month old 2" ish baby red foot? I want two one for water and one for food.

Perenz

I second the comment about keeping them clean. The non glazed ones didn’t hold water for me either. It would just make for a soaked indoor enclosure.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If it's a small tortoise non-glazed saucers are good. I cut bulkhead fittings into saucers and so clay doesn't work for me in many applications. In this case I will use plastic and then put a layer two or three pieces deep in the saucer. Crushed stone gravel so it has traction. Bigger than the bulkhead fitting hole. This works to both reduce tortoise tip overs and gives enough of a rough surface that they can flip back over. If you get a six inch saucer, you can put a 4 inch tile in it, Slate or mastic side up glazed tile, and it effectively does the same thing as a clay saucers as. Water in a saucer is for drinking (in my mind) more so than soaking, so as long as they can get their face in it they can drink it.

Tyler has some square saucers that are plastic and by the nature of how they are made are tip-over proof. I use these too and just put a 9 x 9 tile on the bottom, it make it shallower and give the same traction as a clay saucer. If it's still too deep two tiles work. Square can sometimes make better use of your enclosure space.
https://www.tortoisesupply.com/square-wide-base-water-dish/