Teeny Tiny Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
I have had my youngest California Desert Tortoise for nearly 18 months and have seen hardly any growth at all :/
This is him about 18 months ago
IMG_1457.jpg

and this is him today
photo-6.jpg

He used to be housed in a 45inch x 30inch tortoise table my dad and i made. He lived in there with his older brother, who is now about 3 inches larger. Today I moved him into a 24inch x 24inch glass aquarium because I thought maybe the larger was bullying the smaller or ate his food. I'm just wondering if there could be any other causes for his lack of growth? Like an illness maybe? He is very active and eats well. He has the correct lighting and diet. (Spring mix, weeds from outside, red leaf, escarole, endive, collared greens, and some shredded carrot every once in awhile for a treat) I soak once every 2 days and he always has access to water in his cage. He also gets at least 8 hours of outside time a week. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Skyler:

Where the heck have you been?

Don't worry about your little guy. He's grown almost an inch front to back and that's nothing to shake a stick at! He's looking pretty good. Some of them just grow more slowly than others.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I just love those little desert torts. My mom use to hatch them when I was a kid

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey, Skyler:

Where the heck have you been?

Don't worry about your little guy. He's grown almost an inch front to back and that's nothing to shake a stick at! He's looking pretty good. Some of them just grow more slowly than others.

DITTO :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see two possibilities.

1. Tortoises just should not be kept in pairs. Whenever this is done one always seems to thrive more than the other. Because he has grown some, just not as much as the other, I am going to guess that this is your problem. Since you have decided to separate them, we will all know in around 2 or 3 months if this was the case.

2. Any tortoise that is known as a "desert" tortoise is usually raised too dry as a hatchling. I used to preface this sort of statement with "In my opinion..." I've just seen too much to call it an opinion any more. When I say dry, I am not just talking about obscene levels of humidity, I am talking about drinking water and place to hide out that is just a little more humid than the air under a heat lamp... Anyhow, the chronic dehydration they suffer as tiny hatchlings can have long lasting effects. Stunted or unusually slow growth is one of these possible long term effects.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I see two possibilities.

1. Tortoises just should not be kept in pairs. Whenever this is done one always seems to thrive more than the other. Because he has grown some, just not as much as the other, I am going to guess that this is your problem. Since you have decided to separate them, we will all know in around 2 or 3 months if this was the case.

2. Any tortoise that is known as a "desert" tortoise is usually raised too dry as a hatchling. I used to preface this sort of statement with "In my opinion..." I've just seen too much to call it an opinion any more. When I say dry, I am not just talking about obscene levels of humidity, I am talking about drinking water and place to hide out that is just a little more humid than the air under a heat lamp... Anyhow, the chronic dehydration they suffer as tiny hatchlings can have long lasting effects. Stunted or unusually slow growth is one of these possible long term effects.

DITTO Queen tonight :p

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Haha Yvonne and Angela, sorry I've been absent ;) I've been lurking posts as often as possible, college has me pretty busy right now!
Tom- I'm thinking your number 1 idea is probably right, so I'm gunna keep them separate for awhile...my mom keeps telling me they will miss eachother...HA :) Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone! I've been extending my knowledge on tortoises lately, especially Desert species. I wish there was a Desert tortoise major in school ;)

I just began to worry because Donatello grew SO fast! Everyone remarks how tiny Franklin is and how he's grown so little. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good...keep lurking and keep us posted on the improvements once they are apart.... :D Let Mom know that they won't miss one another in the least bit...they are designed that way...but make sure you say it nicely :)D)

(the RFs are doing great ;))

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Hahah I will Angela :) and I told her they wouldn't notice...to her reply "but their brothers..." lol
I'm sorry glad to hear about the rfs! Any pics? ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol.....ok, let's not argue with Mom :D...lol

Here is a pic of Sophia and Goliath...the little rufian Goliath is the one under his red light .....he sprawls out and sleeps on and off under that light...Sophia loves burrying herself so sent that one where she is getting started....Sophia is finally eating like a champ--she will eat two or three times a day and can pack away a pile her size each time...she is coming out of her shyness over the last few weeks...and Goliath is still a brute he tucks his head in and jacks his butt up in the air and runs at my hand...he has a blast and I think it is kinda silly so I get a laugh every time....so all is good...:D

Ooops...what a dork I am...I thought I attached two more recent ones With one of each when actually I only attached Goliath...hahaha...here is Sophia

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Aw I'm so glad to hear they are doing so good! :) They look great! and I love their new names, very suiting haha. Thanks so much for adopting them! OH and how are Sophia's eyes doing?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sophia is doing better with her eyes...I used eye ointment for awhile and it did not improve any at all...so I laid off of the stuff and just keep her hydrated and have a red heat lamp on more than a bright basking light (as they get outside time multiple times a week for sometimes 30 mins up to a few hours) I think her eyes are improving but it will be a slow process.....:D

They are very sweet..even the rufian is endearing even when trying to brawl with my hand.....lol ...thanks for letting me take them in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.