Temp..day vs night??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well finishing my indoor enclosure.. Want to ask about temp fluctuations..

Right now I'm keeping the room a steady 82.. With two basking lights at 20" that raise the basking are to 101(is this ok)

Also should there be a temp drop at night.. Or would it be just the same to leave the temp a constant...

I also want to mention I have never seen them use the basking light at all..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

M

Maggie Cummings

If they are not basking that's because the ambient air is too warm. I don't remember how big they are or how many they are, but they bask to increase their internal metabolism and if the ambient air is already warm there is no reason for them to get under a light. So just keep the light on figuring they need the UVB rays whether they are basking or not. I keep the ambient air in Bob's shed about 85 degrees and he basks for several hours a day...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I should know this, but what age/size sulcata are we talking about and is there humidity in the enclosure?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have two sulcatas..one is 9yrs old 47lbs the other is 4yrs old and 12lbs.. Humidity is around 75-80%.. and they are kept in a Room 20ft x 15ft in the basement with an elevated floor...and hay as a substrate

I keep the room at 82-85*F. 24/7 with 2-250watt heat bulbs 20" inches above the ground( max basking temp 101*f)..

Problem is I never see them use the basking site..

Status
Not open for further replies.