Temp home turned rescue

bextort

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm Becky and I have a Russian, Shelby.

Today my friend called to say he was temporarily looking after his sisters friends two tortoises as she was in the process of moving and could I go round to help set up etc.

Now I'm no expert, I rely on the good folk of this forum for advice and guidance, but as soon as I saw them I knew something wasn't right.
I think they're leopards (?) ...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382302122.365976.jpg
One is male (sausage) one is female (cabbage) ... They already had those names.
The female has been victim of a dog bite which has broke the shell and did puncture about 6 weeks ago, she was taken to the vet and received injections in a back leg for five week then given the all clear and told her shell will heal over time. This all seemed well however her tail/bottom looked extremely swollen, I would compare it to the size of an adult thumb. She was not moving and would not open her eyes.
I immediately soaked them and she started pooping like there was no tomorrow, enough to fill a paper cup. It was crazy, is this normal? Was she constipated? After a long soak I too he out dried her off and she was soooo active, off exploring whilst I began sterilising her enclosure.

They share an enclosure, which is a good size, mixed up substate of moss bark and too soil. There is a uvb tube bulb, heat mat and another bulb fitted which came with the tank however I'm wary as to if it's a coil bulb.

If these are leopards can anyone give me any advice regarding diet/ set up/ temps etc or send me in the direction of a care sheet.

This was suppose to be a temporary home but I've well and truly got the bug and am very reluctant to let then go back, I will offer to buy them if it comes to it. They're enclosure was dirty, they have been without lights for long periods of time, fed iceberg lettuce, and the owner clearly hadn't noticed the bottom problem.

As I left my friends they both seemed settled and were enjoying basking and just looked much happier and more active than when they arrived

Oh and her bottom/tail had reduced massively in size and looked much more normal

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Wow!!! Thank you for rescuing them, they are so beautiful.

I will let other Leopard experts reply. But you are already doing them a huge favor. If it's a coil bulb, ditch it! Go get a PowerSun!

And where are you located? Maybe others near you can assist?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are leopards. Read Toms threads below in my post. The leopard or sulcata one. They are both raised the same. Their diet, hibiscus flower and leaf, cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise diet, dandelion, mustard greens, collard greens, pretty much the same greens you would feed your Russian.

bextort

5 Year Member
SenjiSandy said:
Wow!!! Thank you for rescuing them, they are so beautiful.

And where are you located? Maybe others near you can assist?
I couldn't not, I just won't know what to do if the owner takes them back. It'll be frustrating helping my friend turn their lifestyle around into happy healthy torts to return to their old ways.

I'm in the uk, manchester

wellington said:
They are leopards. Read Toms threads below in my post. The leopard or sulcata one. They are both raised the same. Their diet, hibiscus flower and leaf, cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise diet, dandelion, mustard greens, collard greens, pretty much the same greens you would feed your Russian.

Come across this thread.
Brilliant, Thankyou :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get them set up correctly, according to Toms threads. If the owners want them back, explain to them they are now set up in the manner a leopard tortoise is suppose to be housed. Recommend they join the forum, print out Toms caresheet for them, he won't mind, and hope for the best. That's what I did. I am caring for two baby leopards. They were set up wrong. I plain out told them that just about everything was wrong. My son couldn't believe how much I told them was wrong. I also told them I was going to set them up the correct way. They are members already, but listened to their vet, who I already had a run in with because of their old, outdated, dry caresheet. I will do what I can to convince them to keep them going in the fashion I have them. All I can do. Then hope for the best.

bextort

5 Year Member
Update this morning ...
Cabbage (female, dog bite victim) is super active off exploring however Sausage (male) is next to none. He only showed a little bit of movement last night during a soak.
I'm going back to my friends after work so will check the temps etc and soak them.
Cabbage is eating great (not surprised after the amount she pooped last night) and Sausage has had a tiny nibble and that's it.
What other things do I need to be checking?