Temp/Humidity in chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

J REED

5 Year Member
I have 1 dial on left side, 1 dial on right side and Digital in middle.they are all close on temp but the digital in middle reads qay higher humidity than either of the dials.Which should I trust?1372625188231.jpgI know its blurry.55-60%left
1372625230227.jpg50% right
1372625255426.jpg
80% center digital
Jeremy

20 views no input?

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
Different portions of the enclosure can have different humidity. Have you switched the meters around to see if they give the same values in those areas? I have heard the digital ones are more accurate, but I don't have anything to back that up. Also figure out where the sensors on the devices are. I have a digital similar to yours, if the vent is in the ground it will give a higher humidity value than if the vent is exposed to the air.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

erica anne

5 Year Member
I notice that the cooler side of my enclosure has higher humidity than the side directly under the light. Temps may have something to do with the slight differences in humidity. I would agree that digital are typically the most accurate.

J REED

5 Year Member
I have it raised now using a metal rod and the magnet on back.reading 75% & 90° in center on digital
Reading 60% &87° on warm side analog
Reading 37% & 84° I n cool side analog..all 3 hides are reading 83 ° on my temp guage1372628762189.jpg

Jeremy

This is what im using to get inside hides temps. 1372628984280.jpg

Jeremy

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
What do they say when they're side by side? I'm currently monitoring three sections of my enclosure and humidity is 74, 85, and 94 percent. I believe they are correct based on their locations, relative to each other. Depending on locations of heat lamps, CHEs, etc, you'll have varying "local" humidities.

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Temp/Humidity in chamber

Beck said:
What do they say when they're side by side? I'm currently monitoring three sections of my enclosure and humidity is 74, 85, and 94 percent. I believe they are correct based on their locations, relative to each other. Depending on locations of heat lamps, CHEs, etc, you'll have varying "local" humidities.

Yea I believe your right.its so big in there they are bound to read different from warm side to middle to cool side....just glad I have some humidity and my temps better
I dont think the fan will hurt the tort creating the cool side as long as I watch how much blows in.humidity is alot lower on the cool side.guess thats normal..
Jeremy

erica anne said:
I notice that the cooler side of my enclosure has higher humidity than the side directly under the light. Temps may have something to do with the slight differences in humidity. I would agree that digital are typically the most accurate.

My humidity is lower on cool side probably because of the small amout of air I have going in from the fan to create the cool side.M y chamber holds heat extremely well especially being in garage .I had to get creative to get it like it is.have a small section on top cut out with a screen piece so fan can blow in.

Jeremy

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
maybe spray down the areas with lower humidity more so they stay at the correct percentage. Your temps seem decent so I dont necessarily think you need to change any of your temps

J REED

5 Year Member
I also live in Alabama....plenty of humidity in the air here...lol

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take the dial ones down and either throw them in the trash or return them. They are totally useless.

The fan defeats the purpose of a closed chamber, and it is normal for humidity under a hot bulb to be lower. It's not normal for it to be drier on the cool side. Something is amiss.

J REED

5 Year Member

Tom said:
Take the dial ones down and either throw them in the trash or return them. They are totally useless.

The fan defeats the purpose of a closed chamber, and it is normal for humidity under a hot bulb to be lower. It's not normal for it to be drier on the cool side. Something is amiss.

Air isnt coming out...just a little going into get cool side.its in garage.gotta do something.not sure whats amiss but its all I got..ive got good temps and humidity so not sure what else I can do

Jeremy

Tom said:

The fan is keeping the whole chambet from being 90°.so should I take out dials and just go off center digital?

Jeremy

abclements

5 Year Member
The answer to your question is, trust the digital one. The dials don't work all that well. But Tom is right about the fan, you can't put cool dry air in without losing warm humid air. If you want to maintain the highest humidity, you're going to have to lose the fan and go with a completely closed chamber. If you're managing to maintain at least 80% humidity throughout the enclosure, then I see no problem with the fan though. The key is maintaining that 80% at all times though.

J REED

5 Year Member
??

Jeremy

abclements said:
The answer to your question is, trust the digital one. The dials don't work all that well. But Tom is right about the fan, you can't put cool dry air in without losing warm humid air. If you want to maintain the highest humidity, you're going to have to lose the fan and go with a completely closed chamber. If you're managing to maintain at least 80% humidity throughout the enclosure, then I see no problem with the fan though. The key is maintaining that 80% at all times though.

I had 80% untill it started cooling down outside a bit.im at 72 % on the digi now.without the fan my whole chamber is 90 and 85 in the hides

Jeremy

So what to try if my whole chamber heats to 90 again?

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you running heat lamps and the fluorescents yet?

J REED

5 Year Member

Tom said:
Are you running heat lamps and the fluorescents yet?

I have a 50 watt basking bulb and only one long fluorescent(1 tube) and tbe short one on side.

Jeremy

abclements

5 Year Member
I just reviewed your enclosure post. And it seems like you're in a pickle. With the fan, you're struggling to keep humidity and without it, you're struggling with it being too hot... this might sound off topic, but what kind of uvb source do you have? Actually can you just list all of your lighting and heat sources? Then I can kind of get a better feel on what is going on in your enclosure.

Oops sorry. Didn't hit refresh before posting lol my bad.

J REED

5 Year Member
I have a 50 watt basking lamp
1 4 fluoredcent Sylvania 34 watt
On side 18" fluorescent 15 watt

Jeremy

Just took this1372648049121.jpg pic of all 3 hydrometers together.2 dials are exact with each other but digi is way diff
Digi reads 25 % more in humidity and 5° more temp
Jeremy

J REED

5 Year Member

abclements said:
Does your garage get really hot during the day?

Yes.i know thats the prob amd 8m trying to combat it

Jeremy

My hides are about 82

Jeremy

Hello??

Jeremy

abclements

5 Year Member
Sorry, I'm in and out on my phone. I would look into a mister. That would both keep humidity high and make the temps drop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
abclements said:
Sorry, I'm in and out on my phone. I would look into a mister. That would both keep humidity high and make the temps drop.

In a closed chamber with the lack of evaporation (or just greatly reduced evaporation) I don't think it would cool much, and the enclosure would be soaked pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.