Temp, Substrate, diet HELP plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
Ill start with my temps I have a 30in long tank warm side 90 cold side 77ish78 is that to low? I wanted it at 80 but can't seem to raise that end any suggestions? (Idk how to upload pictures or I would up load some) it has a screen top that is cover with tin foil with cut outs for my 60w CHE and my 5.0 UVB tube light

The substate that I have is a mix of multch and coco fiber (on the side with the CHE) and canadian moss on the other side (to help with my humid hide) now if I switch the CHE to the moss will that change my temp? (All readings with a digital prob reader on the substate)

My dite question is a substrate question as well is it okay to have grass seed in the mix? I believe it is okay to eat grass but can they eat the seeds if the grass hasn't grown yet?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
A CHE hooked up to a thermostat has done very well for me. I have a 100-watt on the warm end and a 60-watt on the cool end (only for winter). The thermostat keeps it at 85ºF on the warm end and 80ºF on the cool end.

Substrate sounds fine to me and I wouldn't worry about the grass seeds.

Great information here:
http://tortoiselibrary.com/ - Free, strongly suggest reading up on things here.
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm - Best instructional care & husbandry book I've read yet for beginning redfoot enthusiasts.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
]I will definitely take a look at the web site when I get a chance. I originally wanted the 100w CHE but the store only had 60w so when I'm out today ill look at the other reptile store that is in my city they just tend to cost more. However I'm not sure if ill be able to fit 2 heat domes and my uvb light all on top I'm going to try to up load some pictures of my setup I haven't added my hides yet and my tort comes tomorrow I'm just concurned about temps right now humidity is at 70-80% and you said my substrate should be good (I assumed it would be the reptile store that I prefer suggested it and they normally are never wrong) I just wanted to double check. Ty for the help

I added tin foil on the back to help keep heat in right now it is near a window might be the reason the temp isn't as high as I want so I may move the tank
IMG-20121212-00115.jpg

Not much room on the top for a second dome but I might have an idea
IMG-20121212-00115.jpg

I've never uploaded pictures so I hope this worked

Attachments

• IMG-20121212-00114.jpg
    IMG-20121212-00114.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
A couple things I can think of:
1) A deeper substrate will provide greater humidity over a longer period of time and allows the tortoises to wedge itself in.

2) The landscape could use some hides. You said you were working on this. I would recommend burying clay pots in the substrate, this way the tortoise can still use the space on top to walk around. You have very limited space currently...

3) I like the plant saucer for water, but it would be easier for the tortoise to climb in and out of if it were flush with the substrate. Adding more substrate will help you achieve this.

This area will work for you little redfoot for a short period of time, but you're going to discover this is a very tight space for providing ample hides and heat gradients. Your tort will also outgrow it soon. On the website I posted previously, see "Housing"--> "Planting an Interesting Habitat" on the left menu bar.

Here is my setup:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45960.html

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Ty for the link to your thread I know you mentioned it is limited space(30"l X 12"w X 12"H) however the YELLOW FOOT I'm getting tomorrow is only 2-3 months old and ill keep it in there for 6months - a year pending on growth I plan on building an enclosure. I'm currently looking for clay pots for the hide on the warm side and going to use a plastic container(not sure of what other options I have for a humid hide) for the humid hide both dug in..

I think I will add more substrate(maybe a total of 3"-4"). How do you drop your temp at night? I know you mentioned a thermostat but I'm not sure what kind I've never seen any at a reptile store, I've seen timers that are like a power bars. Is there a place where I can order online that delivers to canada?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You have repeatedly said yellowfoot, sorry I keep overlooking that! Keep in mind they are less tolerant (so I hear) of humidity and temperature fluctuations. You'll want to achieve steady temps and humidity prior to acquiring that tortoise.

I don't drop my temperatures at night.

Thermostats: You get what you pay for. I want a Herpstat, but for now this is what I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQD9A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

There is just a wheel with hot-cold colors on it (like your car heater/AC), so you can't dial in a specific temp. You'll need to set, observe, and adjust accordingly to achieve the proper temps.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Yea I looked all over the place but I thought it was almost a must to drop temps at night I noticed last night with the uvb light off there is a 2-3 degree difference I was unable to find a terra cotta planter I like the look to them but I've added my hides and added more substrate its about 3inch deep at its lowest point

I used a yogurt container for the humid hide I hope this will work wasn't sure what do do to make it "humid" other then add the moss. I decided to use this log critter hide because it is sterdy to climb on it has spaces between the logs to help the heat travel down under the hide currently messuring all temps just finished setting it up

Top view
IMG-20121212-00116.jpg

Side view
IMG-20121212-00117.jpg

Plastic yogurt hide (the gague isn't temp accurate but best used for humidity)
IMG-20121212-00118.jpg

Critter log hide warm side
IMG-20121212-00119.jpg

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Love the hides!

I go to the dollar store and get fake plants to stick into the substrate to make it feel safe for the tortoise. You may consider some of these? Real plants are great, but I think you may bit too limited on space at this point.

You can place stones at the base of your plant saucer, then fill it to the top (or near top) with water. This way the tortoise can simply stick its head in and get a drink. The saucer is a bit deep currently.

Hopefully others start chiming in soon.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Won't the tort try to eat fake plants? And the log critter hide was my wifes idea. Also my wifes. Little shitzu eats thouse ceasar. Wet dog foods so I've washed a couple out trying to grow grass seed in them they are low enough I can put them level with substrate and the tort still able to eat and it will be easy changing ... Provided the grass grows in something this shallow (only about an inch deep)

But I'm hoping others "chime" in soon as well just to get other ideas. Don't get me wrong you've been a great help just want to here others opinions

I don't want to stress the tort out but also I don't want to put a border of tin foil or something else and seeing it is winter idk where to find plants let alone plants that are safe

Status
Not open for further replies.