Temperature and housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicki15

5 Year Member
Hello
My husband made me a new tortoise table as I wanted it as big as possible, however I'm now worried that it is too big and open that it is now sufficient temperature and that is why our tortoise is not earring and constantly sleeping in his bed.

What are the ideal temperature in basking and the rest of the enclosure and if the heat lamps are off over night, what temperature would be too cold? Ideally in degrees C.
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You may have to partially cover the table. Since you husband seems handy with the tools, maybe he can make you a cover with holes cut out for light placement.

Your temp should be in the 100F degree range directly under the light, fading to about 80-85F on one end, then around 70-75F on the other end. I know the steppe tortoises like it a bit cooler, but I'm not up on Hermann's care.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My adult Hermanns are very active in an enclosure that is mostly unheated and dipping into the low 60's (16c). They have a warm basking spot and several small areas where the lighting raises the temps to 80 (26c). They spend most of their time in the cooler areas of the enclosure exploring and eating.

vicki15

5 Year Member
Thank you very much. I have just increased my heat bulb to a 240 watt which has 2 intensity settings (it is actually a heat lamp used for just hatched chick, however we had it in our shed so thought u would try it. It now is 31.5 degrees c under the light which is in the middle, 26 at the other end, 22 under the covered area and on top of the covered area is (the cage is split level with a ramp so he can go on top of the roof of his bedroom where all his plants grow so as they are not effected by the heat, but he never goes up there).

He has become much more active since we have raise the temperature over night and now is eating :) ! Maybe as he was outside so long before being rescued he was preparing for hibernation and needed a higher temperature to become active enough to eat?

Thanks for your message emysemys and also on my other thread. Don't worry he wa from a rescue centre and they did track down his owners but they no longer wanted him.

Although it is now warmer for him, do you think my temperatures as still too low and maybe I should increase them slowing to 100 (38 c) under the lamps?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Colored bulbs sometimes make things look funny to them. Is your chick bulb one of those reddish colored ones?

vicki15

5 Year Member
Hi yes it is, but the repti bulb I was using previously was also red.

Status
Not open for further replies.