temperature, moist n humidity issue for baby sully!

alan88k

5 Year Member
Hello guys,
I own a baby sully for few days now (weighing 60g n about 4") n I would like to know the appropriate temperature, moist n humidity for my little one. I live in Malaysia, which is tropicana weather, all year spring season if it's not rainy period. My living place has a maximum 34 degree Celsius during the day n minimum 24 degree Celsius during the night. I keep my sully indoor, the minimum room temperature during night is around 26 degree Celsius. Is that fine if Im not giving him a UVB light during night for that temperature? (As I'm now providing him one all night long)
As during the day time, I bring him outdoor for the sun. At least for 2 hours. He looks extremely active when the sunshine towards him. while at night, he is a lot less active..is that the temperature problem that he couldn't get adapted to?
How can I know whether he is comfortable with the temperature he's in? any help? Thanks...

Regards,
Alan K.
MALAYSIA

Btw..that's my lil one :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he gets outside every day, you don't need a UVB for inside. Toms threads below in my post will help you with temps and humidity. Please read them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
26 at night is okay, but 24 is borderline too low. I would put a ceramic heating element on a thermostat set to 26-27, just to be on the safe side for a baby. Set your basking bulb on a 12 hour timer. He needs it dark at night.

You can tell your temps are correct if he moves around during the day and uses the whole enclosure. It he hides on the cool side all day, its too hot. If its sits under the heat bulb all day, its too cool. He should do both several times throughout the day.

alan88k

5 Year Member
What about the humidity of the environment? how should I increase the surrounding environment to the right level of humidity n sufficient moist? Any sign can be observed from lil sully to tell that he is comfortable with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 77

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The smoothness of his growth will tell you this over time. If he grows smooth, it was wet and humid enough. If he grows pyramided, it was not.

Right now he is on a track to grow pyramided. The ridges between his scutes are quite deep and this is the beginning of the stacking effect. You need daily soaks, shell spraying, a damp substrate, a humid hide and warm temps to stop it.

All this info is in the care sheet that was linked for you. Its at the top of the sulcata page too. Please read it.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
alan88k said:
What about the humidity of the environment? how should I increase the surrounding environment to the right level of humidity n sufficient moist?
Most of us have found that creating a closed chamber is the best way to control the environment - temperature and humidity. Here is a thread that discusses ways to accomplish this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

alan88k

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The smoothness of his growth will tell you this over time. If he grows smooth, it was wet and humid enough. If he grows pyramided, it was not.

Right now he is on a track to grow pyramided. The ridges between his scutes are quite deep and this is the beginning of the stacking effect. You need daily soaks, shell spraying, a damp substrate, a humid hide and warm temps to stop it.

All this info is in the care sheet that was linked for you. Its at the top of the sulcata page too. Please read it.

What do you recommend me to use as substrate? can i use coconut coir or any better suggestion? Besides, how to construct a humid hide? I really need more information about this. I'm started to worry :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hot and humid = healthy and happy. The best thing about this forum is that there has been extensive conversations about many elements. The threads shared above are excellent read. Also, do a search, above right, regarding "closed chamber" and you will get pretty much every conversation about it. Babies must be raised in hot and humid conditions ... they are born in the rainy season in their native land, so its hot and humid. Don't worry. Read-read-read and then ask for help to fine tune your set up. Cute little sulcata! I like how the front flares up. Like little wings. And yes, say bye-bye to those pellets (boo, pellets) they are useless and old school, and use coco coir. Coco coir is so much better for the humidity levels needed. : )

alan88k

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384336989.682992.jpg
That is how I design my enclosure for lil sully now. Though it's just temporary. I'm going to get a 8' x 4' x 2' enclosure soon. n I'm not sure whether I need a CHE in order to provide sufficient heat for lil sully. It's rainy season now here at Malaysia... Temperature always down to 23-24 celcius during rain. With the UVB light, temperature in enclosure should be able to rise until 26-27 celcius. Any suggestion for me please? (I knew sully should have a full time temperature of 35-38 celcius)

Last edited by a moderator: