TEMPERATURES GRRRRRRRRR

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Yesterday I saw my 19 month old Indian Star tortoise had foam coming out of his mouth.I about had a heart attack.I quick looked up that symptom on here and what I could find was the temperatures were too hot. I have kept his enclosure (open front door tank with foil covering top) at 90 degrees on one end and 73 degrees on the other. He has been thriving since I got him when he was the size of a quarter and weighed .65 now he weighs 6.15 and has been doing great up until now. I used an infrared gun.the surface temps have been 108 under the lamp and inside his hide 87. He always laid off to the side of the lamp being it was quite warm.I use a candescent bulb and he moves at will when he gets to hot or cool. He has a nice terra cotta dish to drink and soak which he does.
My question is this: does he require less heat now that he's substantially larger.He's 4" long and weighs 6.15 oz
Thanks

Attachments

• 02646E8B-E9BD-4F4A-8D12-974BD30E657E.jpeg
    02646E8B-E9BD-4F4A-8D12-974BD30E657E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My question is this: does he require less heat now that he's substantially larger.He's 4" long and weighs 6.15 oz
No. Their heat requirements don't change. And they can tolerate hot hot temps, more so than other species.

That 73 side is concerning. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 day or night.

Also, everyone weighs in grams, not ounces. You'll get more response and people will understand better what you are talking about if you use grams.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is there a possibility he ate something that he shouldn't have?

Once, my leopard got ahold of some Rhododendron flowers in my yard. They are toxic and he had bubbles and foam in his mouth. Took him 2 days to feel better.

I'd soak him a lot to make sure he's hydrated and can flush his system. Also keep him warm. Tortoises need to be warm enough for their immune systems to kick in and fight stuff.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
He didn’t eat anything new or strange. Since I lowered the temp. He has been active and eating He’s fickle. Hasn’t foamed any more since.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
No. Their heat requirements don't change. And they can tolerate hot hot temps, more so than other species.

That 73 side is concerning. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 day or night.

Also, everyone weighs in grams, not ounces. You'll get more response and people will understand better what you are talking about if you use grams.
I’ve always been very alert to temps. When I typed my search foaming coming out f mouth most posts about this said overheating. I lowered the temp and he is doing a lot better. I am keep a very close eye on him. I used my infrared gun on him and his basking area/hide several times a day in addition to monitoring the temperature gauges. It appears the lower temps he does better for now but time will tell my his liveliness and appetite. Tom your info is always good. Thanks

Reactions: Tom