Temperatures in Russian Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Hi there all, I'm not sure if this should be posted in the Enclosure forum or not, I apologize in advance! I remember reading that the temp of a Russian enclosure should drop to around 60s at night? And with a high of something from 85-95? However, in my apartment, for some reason, my unit feels like a boiler room (it's not though!). Currently there's a snow storm outside and I have the window in my room open and two fans on max and the temperature in the enclosure is still 82 on the cool end with the hot end going to about 95. At night it drops to about 72ish. But I was wondering if this would be okay? I don't notice anything adverse in my RT, I do soak him about once a week for 20-30 minutes and I always have water in his enclosure. Should I spray/mist the enclosure every morning? And I plan on getting a hygrometer this week, I never bothered to just because I read how RTs do well in a temperature and climate that we are accustomed to?

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardner, MA
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm Is the site I went to when I had questions. I would try to get a cool side down to the 70's if possible, The one thing I disagree with the above site is to digest food tort needs to be in the 80's not 70's. Do you have water that Commander Squishy may soak in on his own? During the Summer when we can't get the temp down in the 70's on the cool end, Charlie jumps (well,,,, slides and plops) in is water dish to cool down.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for the response. Yeah, I have a water dish, well it's actually in the shape of a leaf and it's big enough for him to soak in. I've seen him in it maybe twice since I got him in January. The apartment I'm in is ridiculous, with my bedroom window open and fans on, it's still a good 5-6 degrees celcius hotter than another unit across the hall on the other side. I'm thinking it has to do with the fact the sun shines directly on this side of the building, but I'm not sure. I was wondering, I have a mini tower fan that's not higher than the walls of the tort table, would it be not a good idea to aim the mini fan on low at the enclosure? Would there still be draft even if the sides of the tort table are higher than the fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.