Temperatures

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Last night my Leo's enclosure dropped to 79F. It's significantly colder here than it normally is, and I suspect the cold tile floor was sucking the warmth out of the enclosure. It warmed up when the mvb came on but the humid hide (furthest point from mvb) remained 79 inside. The humidity had also dropped over night to 77% so I put the humidifier on so it's super humid in their now. I hadn't received a response to my question about using one of those tiny tank heater under the enclosure, under the humid hide. I have 6+ inches of substrate to disperse heat.
For the temporary I have a flood light pointed at the corner where that humid hide is...on the outside. The temp has climbed 2 degrees from 79 to 81.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389022910.587239.jpg

Current temp inside humid hide after additional light heat outside enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389022978.504147.jpg

Humidity and temp good otherwise. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389023014.319864.jpg

Oh and ignore the wonky highs and lows on the gage...I had it out when I added the humid hide and it was measuring the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I'm not sure if it is the best solution, but I bought one of those $15 fan driven heaters from Wal-Mart. I placed it inside the enclosure and put a water dish in front of it. It has an internal thermostat and it can be set to come on and off when your temps are optimal, that way, in the day time when your lights are on, it does not come on so much but at night it keeps the temps up. I do not point it down into the enclosure. It is pointing upwards and blows over the water dish. I also leave the fan on low so there is not a convection oven situation. I had to build a little shelf for it but it works pretty good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, you can use a heating mat/pad under the enclosure.....just set as you need and then monitor the temps for a bit to assure it is good....and that it is not too powerful that it melts against the tub....:D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The tile floor is taking heat away from the enclosure. Put insulation under the enclosure. A two inch thick layer of foam padding would work well. Two old sofa cushions would also work great. Just getting an air gap so that there is no direct transfer of heat to the tile floor would help.

Or if you really want an improvement put the enclosure up on top of a table.

Good luck.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My first choice would be to buy a piece of rigid foam insulation and set that under the tub so it's off the tile.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks y'all. That's what I'm going to do, run by lowes and get insulation board. Last night I put it up on the kitchen table and it held it's temps like it normally does. So the tile floor is just too cold right now. Normally this isn't an issue but it's much colder than usual. Boo!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
79 degrees and 77% is fine. A little variation is not harmful in the least. 80/80 is a good number to strive for, in my experience, but if it goes a bit higher or lower than those numbers, it is totally fine. My closed chambers ambient temps drop as low as 76 degrees on a cold winter night and climb as high as 94 degrees on a hot summer day. Ambient humidity in them varies from 70% to 88% at times too.

Now if the temp were dropping in the low 70s or high 60s with 80-90% humidity for a baby leopard tortoise, THEN I would worry. Well, I wouldn't "worry", I would fix it. I would not allow that to happen.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
79 degrees and 77% is fine. A little variation is not harmful in the least. 80/80 is a good number to strive for, in my experience, but if it goes a bit higher or lower than those numbers, it is totally fine. My closed chambers ambient temps drop as low as 76 degrees on a cold winter night and climb as high as 94 degrees on a hot summer day. Ambient humidity in them varies from 70% to 88% at times too.

Now if the temp were dropping in the low 70s or high 60s with 80-90% humidity for a baby leopard tortoise, THEN I would worry. Well, I wouldn't "worry", I would fix it. I would not allow that to happen.

Thanks Tom. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]