temporary enclosure for Zeus and Thor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Way too small. Get rid of the hay, too drying, and they should be housed separately. The light should hang straight down and water dish too shallow. Sorry, but it needs much improvement.

spanna

It is temporary till the bigger enclosure arrives next week. I saved the bigger tortoise and the other tank was too small. So, I've used my initiative, I got that water bowl of a breeder and they advised me that this was fine cause if it was a deep bowl there is a risk of drowning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see. They most likely will not be able to stay housed together, bullying could and most likely will happen, so be prepared and watch for it. Tortoises like to put their heads further into the water then what that bowl will allow. They also sometimes will self soak in it, which this also looks too small for. Get a clay flower pot saucer, bury it level with the substrate and use the one you have for a food dish, would be good for that.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The last picture looks like light is realy close to top of their shells, this could burn them. Love their names!

spanna

I will get a terracotta saucer pot for them. I will keep an eye on them and when that starts, I will then separate them but they seem to be doing fine at the minute. I will remove the hey too.

spanna

That lamp was in the smaller tank whilst I was putting the soil in the temporary enclosure. I think the names are cool too!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
God idea, I'm guessing that's an MVB, and hanging sideways shortens life span for the bulb.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The light can melt the lid. Try to suspend it.

Some people attach two tubs together in various ways to get more space.

spanna

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410192166.988007.jpg it is an mvb and as you can see it's suspended. I've changed the hay too tortoise grass as well.

spanna

Just asking as I thought everyone lived in mansions/penthouses due to the way people go on about size? Lol

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Way too small. Get rid of the hay, too drying, and they should be housed separately. The light should hang straight down and water dish too shallow. Sorry, but it needs much improvement.

A tad abrupt with the advice!! WHether one agrees or not, there is a 'helpful' way of saying things!

spanna

Thank you...I want advise not judged by people. I live in the uk in a 3 bedroomed house. I did mention it was temporary till the new enclosure arrives. I previously had 2ft vivarium and just ordered a 4ft. That's the biggest I can have. I've recently saved another tortoise cause the previous owner were feeding it lemon, ice berg lettuce...no heat or UVB light and no water. I'm just trying to do what's best for them...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You are not being judged, the habitat is. People don't always have the time to couch diplomatic replies. You asked for thoughts. You got a terse list. I'm sure no offense was meant. Good information is good information, no matter the source or delicacy of delivery.

People with space shortages build double decker habitats, stack habitats, or rehome tortoises. Some keep them together in inadequate housing and one gets bullied to death. These are all logical possibilities.

Sorry if this is gruff, I'm in a time bind myself

spanna

If bullying does happen then I will separate them but at the minute they seem happy. The smaller one follows the larger one around and they sleep in the same hide, even when I separate them and put them in different hides. They always end up at the same spot. But it's a possibility isn't it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I meant no disrespect, you want opinions, I gave an honest one. Even a temp enclosure bullying goes on and should be correct.