Temporary Enclosure

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I posted anything (shame on me). I need to post an update on my torts, but I need to take some good pics first. Anyway....

Apparently mice got into our garage and brought fleas with them this winter. One of my strictly indoor cats got out into the garage and brought the fleas back to his brother. That's bad enough but we were dealing with it with bathing and drops, the usual course of "Die flea, die!" The big problem is that When we were out of town the girl watching the torts and cats accidentally locked one of my cats in the tortoise room. I didn't think anything of it until after we got back and one day I couldn't find my cat.... He was snuggled up in my Red-foot's enclosure and they looked like they were best buds. Kinda cute but annoying and I was worried about injury so I removed him and made sure he knew he was not welcome. Nothing happened until recently when I noticed little white bugs in the water dishes so I cleaned them out. Then one day as I was putting veggies in my red-foot's treat dish I pulled back a hand dotted black with fleas. Apparently the perfect Red-foot enclosure is also perfect for flea breeding.

Now I have to bomb the room. Obviously I'm removing the torts for a day or 2 at least until it's aired out. I just need some ideas on temporary enclosure. The size of their enclosures and the fixture of the lights makes it impossible for me to relocate them and my boyfriend is out of town for a few months. It's warm enouth here in the south that I'm not worried about the temp, I just don't want them in the living room with the window AC unit. I also want them to have some sun. So I was thinking of some card board boxes, with their newly sanitized "toys" in them and cover them with chicken wire that I have left over from Itzl's corner hide. Take them outside for a few hours and then bring them back in, especially over night. I can't go through the garage because it will be bombed at the same time, so they will be hanging out in the front yard where I can glance out the front window and watch them.

Does this sound crazy? Have I forgotten anything? Thanks!!

Meggin

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Couple days in those will be fine. Will they have access to heat source indoors?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If those are temp holding boxes they will be fine....just make sure that the boxes are not left unattended too long, a tort can claw through cardboard if they begin trying to climb the sides and if just a speck of light comes through the cardboard you will have a crack obsessed like tortoise bent on getting through and out.....also make sure you have a way to keep them shaded while outside and such.....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I personally wouldn't bomb the room. But that's just me. Nowadays we don't need to resort to such toxic measures.