Terracotta saucers soaking up water

CountingMareep713

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
I got a RT 2 days ago and I'm using an 8" terracotta saucer for water for him to soak in and drink from. I notice that after several hours, the water gets absorbed by the saucer and leaks through to the coconut fiber underneath. I know RTs need dry substrate so I'm wondering if there is any way to prevent this. I don't want to use anything else because it seems perfect except for this flaw (and his name is Terra Cotta so I want to have a theme here) any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

jakskillz

Georgia
The saucer shouldn’t be leaking but occasionally they do have cracks or holes we can’t see. I was unknowingly refilling up one of my juvenile box turtles water because I thought it was just evaporating under the heat lamp. So once I realized I turned his dirted tank into a swamp I figured out that flaw. I bought 7 saucers and none of the others needed replacing

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You got a seeper. I find that about 1 out of 10 seeps. I mark those with an "X" on the bottom and use them for food instead.

CountingMareep713

Columbus, OH
These are all good things to keep in mind. I noticed that the whole saucer is soaked and is a darker color. So I'm not sure if it having cracks or seeping is the entire issue. I got them from Home Depot, I'm not sure if it's a quality issue or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are all good things to keep in mind. I noticed that the whole saucer is soaked and is a darker color. So I'm not sure if it having cracks or seeping is the entire issue. I got them from Home Depot, I'm not sure if it's a quality issue or not.

As I said, its normal. If you went and bought 100 at random, about 10 will seep. Ask me how I know this...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve always had really bad luck, lol. I’ve bought three, all of them seeped.(well, the last one not as badly, but it’s not great either.)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I got a RT 2 days ago and I'm using an 8" terracotta saucer for water for him to soak in and drink from. I notice that after several hours, the water gets absorbed by the saucer and leaks through to the coconut fiber underneath. I know RTs need dry substrate so I'm wondering if there is any way to prevent this. I don't want to use anything else because it seems perfect except for this flaw (and his name is Terra Cotta so I want to have a theme here) any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Russian torts do not have dry substrate. It should be moist with the top layer being dryer. If they are adults, they don’t need as much humidity but babies do.