Terrapin Station mom with 26 terrapins looking for tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Set 1 609.jpg
IMG_20130701_100645.jpg

Hello!

I am new to TF and have a Turtle story to tell. I am a wife, mom of two teenagers and a guardian of 26 terrapins, mostly red eared sliders. I am a science teacher and began taking in unwanted red eared sliders of students and neighbors about 7 years ago. People don’t realize that those cute little hatchlings grow into huge dinner plate sized turtles! With improper filtration, they are also not pleasant to keep indoors. I acquired so many that I purchased huge Rubbermaid horse trough watering tubs and eventually built a 3000 gallon water/land habitat in my yard over a 12 month period. It's called Terrapin Station. Photo attached from this morning. I made a photo book for the project and am building a website dedicated to it. I also have plans to install a water web cam and a web cam above it on my porch so I can share the ecosystem with my students by a live feed. It's really cool.

We currently have 11 hatchlings left (red eared sliders). I will re-home up to five of them if you live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. They are free.
So, why am I on tortoise forum? I want a tortoise. (Shocker, right?) I have been investigating them for some time (about two years) and am in the process of building an indoor enclosure with the help of my father. (Actually, he's done 99.9% of the work...I just helped with the railings and gluing the base and walls together). Picture attached. It should be done within the next week or so. We are going to paint a natural ecosystem on the inside back wall of it over July 4th and then seal it with a water-based sealant.

The ramp is narrow, with the thought that a western Hermanns could navigate it. I can make it wider if need be. I would like to know where I can purchase a tortoise that will remain smallish. Any recommendations?
Thanks! I am really enjoying the forum and getting great information so I can be prepared for when that day comes.
Lynette from north Atlanta
Other family members:
Husband and two teens, ages 14 and 17.
1 King Charles Cavalier Spaniel (Brinley)
3 Persians (Butter, Molly, Cami)
9 Zebra Finches (no names.....just finches)
26 assorted terrapins, Brim and Goldfish in a 3000 gallon habitat (Lots of names)
1 Leopard Gecko (Gordon)
1 Long-haired Teddy Bear Hamster (Paisley)
1 Russian Tortoise (Otis) - He is visiting me for summer camp - he belongs to another Science teacher at my school
1 HUGE red eared slider, Jerry, visiting Terrapin Station for summer camp (belongs to another teacher at school).
? New Baby Tortoise that TF will help me find! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I love your outside habitat (I am kinda a nut about outside habitats :D!) Did the entire family help with building it? I really like hearing/seeing where families work together on these projects... such as you and your Dad doing the current one. What are you plans for the lighting and heating of the new enclosure? How big is it actually? There are a few breeders of Hermann here on the forum, if you end up deciding you want one of those and a hatchling at that. :)

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi, and welcome. Beautiful outdoor area. Looks so peaceful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Your turtle enclosure is FANTASTIC!!!

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Really nice enclosures, only thing I noticed is that ramp looks awfully steep, what angle is it?

lokenica

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Regarding the wooden indoor enclosure: The ramp is at a 40 degree angle. I think we will have to widen it and lower it, too. The railing is not done yet, and there will also be a lip all around the top made of walnut so the new tortoise to be can't climb out. It's 36 inches long by 24 inches wide on the lower level and the upper level is about 13 inches wide or so. Dad and I are building it, and my nephew also helped. Regarding the outdoor pond: I did most of the work myself, as I LOVE outdoor projects. They are not my husband's "thing." He helped me load and carry rocks and did some digging. It's 3 feet deel on one end and terraces 5 different depths up to 18 inches. The flagstone around the adges keeps them in but they can get their feet dirty by climbing out on the land area. Many days, some of them will sun themselves on the rock surrounding the land area. My kids helped dig a bit and my daughter helped plant the perrenials around the edges. We all "released" them into the pond on release day about two years ago now. I love these little reptiles so much and I really want a small indoor tortoise I can see everyday! I will also build a small enclosure outdoors for the new addition, too. We have a porch that wraps around our entire house, so I can have a half shade, half sun area. I have the perfect place picked out already! All I need now is a little guy! I'll post more pics once the indoor area is done. My dad is quite a painter, to, so I am anxious to work on the painting of the landscape with him over the 4th! :)

lokenica

5 Year Member
Oops, for lighting, I am installing a dowel rod across the top and hanging the dome lights I use for my baby red eared sliders and lizard. I have been using the Turtle Tuff bulbs that run about $20 for my turtles so if water splashes they won't break. They are very durable. I am not sure what exactly the new tortoise will need but would love some advice. The open area to the left is where I plan on the sunning area to be. Do you think it will get warm enough with one light and 100 W? There is NOT a lid on it. I read that an open top is better for them for circulation. I can put two lights if you think I need to. Under the bottom right is where the half log hideaway will be. :)

7oasty23

5 Year Member
40 degrees is a little too steep, I'd shoot for around 20 imo.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I love both your setups! Both are very nice! Something I noticed, an easy fix, is that the rails might be too short. I know my Russian would go right over those rails, being the climber that he is.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) your outdoor enclosure is amazing!! :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Whatever tortoise you get, please make an outdoor habitat for it, too, and keep it inside during the cold months only. Being outdoors & getting sun & grazing is so good for them!

lokenica

5 Year Member
How tall should I make the railings? They are not attached yet, and actually, not even finished. I had to order more spindles. I am thinking 3-4 inches high? I do plan on building an outdoor enclosure for summer, once "whoever I get" grows bigger. We netted our outdoor pond this summer. When everyone woke up from hibernation, I was missing 4 adult red eared sliders. Since I work full-time as a teacher, they likely were snatched by hawks last Spring or Summer while I was out. Poo. I hate that. We haven't had a problem since netting it. I am leaning towards a Russian, now that I have a visiting one this summer for camp.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
My russian is quite the climber, mine are about 7-8 inches tall.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372788875.015201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.