Terrarium Change- tank to tortoise house?

marissab

Hi all!
I have a 20 gallon tank where I keep my first tort, an adult Russian named Luigi. I just learned that this home is too small, and I've decided to purchase a new (indoor) home for him. I was at first going to get a 40 gallon tank for him, but learned that it's not the best for him. I don't have a whole lot of money, but I want the best I can do with him for the limited indoor space I have.
I was considering getting a ZooMed Tortoise House, or a 40 gallon tank. I only have enough $$ for one, so what do you think the best option is?

Also, it might take me a while to get a bigger home- will he be fine for 1-2 weeks in a 20 gallon tank if I take him outside to exercise for an hour each day? I like to let him roam outside.
Thanks!
(the photo attached is his current home).

IMG_6966.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
He will be fine in there for a few weeks.

Why is a 40 breeder not a good tank for him?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Go non traditional. Look for a stock tank, or build something much larger than the options you list. You can link multiple storage tubs together. Check out the enclosure section. Lots of ideas There.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Both of your options are quite small for an adult Russian tortoise. I second thinking outside the pre-made tortoise house - you will be able to build something much larger for less money.

marissab

Both of your options are quite small for an adult Russian tortoise. I second thinking outside the pre-made tortoise house - you will be able to build something much larger for less money.
The problem is I don't have a whole lot of access to wood, and I don't know how to build anything...

marissab

Go non traditional. Look for a stock tank, or build something much larger than the options you list. You can link multiple storage tubs together. Check out the enclosure section. Lots of ideas There.

How do you link them together? Do you know what has instructions for this

marissab

Would these two tubs work together or should I get more???

Attachments

• IMG_7005.JPG
    IMG_7005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Think much bigger.
0327161123.jpg 0324161957.jpg
Tubs like these. You have to be creative in linking them. Cut holes in the sides and build a bridge would be an option. @legeit has used stock tanks.
Or build a simple table like this.
0730161133.jpg
Greenhouses can work well
0730160823.jpg
Bigger is better for WC adult Russians. Can you build an outdoor enclosure. Look at that thread for ideas too. If he has a nice big outdoor enclosure, the inside one can be smaller.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Think much bigger.
View attachment 183135 View attachment 183136
Tubs like these. You have to be creative in linking them. Cut holes in the sides and build a bridge would be an option. @legeit has used stock tanks.
Or build a simple table like this.
View attachment 183137
Greenhouses can work well
View attachment 183138
Bigger is better for WC adult Russians. Can you build an outdoor enclosure. Look at that thread for ideas too. If he has a nice big outdoor enclosure, the inside one can be smaller.

Jodie - - the picture of the "table" - - is that just a glass enclosure on top of a table? If so, what is advantage of table vs. having it sit on carpet? Just curious since we are still learning. Thanks.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
No. It is a rectagular table enclosure with a cold frame covered in plastic. The benefit of getting it up off the floor is heat. The floor is cold making it harder to keep the tortoise level warm.0531150808.jpg
This is an old one, but shows better maybe. It is 5 feet by 3 1/2 if I remember correctly.