Terri's new home(Sulcata) Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary.elliott

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, England
Hi all heres an update on Terri's home, it is very near completion now it has taken over a year to this stage because it is all self build and I am not in the building trade in any respect so have had to learn as I go plus of course money. So if I can do it so can you.
075.jpg163.jpg178.jpg187.jpg226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is pretty cool. Very nice job.

What will you use as a substrate?

gary.elliott

5 Year Member
Kent, England
Not sure Tom thinking Coir possibly, but am open to suggestions. Been too blinkered on just finishing the build to look further ahead.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Very Nice!

Kinda on the tall side, any idea how much it will cost to keep heated during the winters? I would suggest a cieling fan to keep the warm air circulating during the cold months.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow I love it. I am planning to build a new shed for mine. I really want to explore radiant floor heat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is truly a thread that deserves a.....

OMG!!!

That's a wonderful tortoise house.

You can buy rubber horse stall mats at feed stores. That's what I have on the floors of my sheds. It keeps the tortoise up off the cold cement if they should happen to scrape away the substrate. They're a bit costly, but well worth the money, and indestructible. For my rain forest tortoises I use cypress mulch on top of the mats, and I wet it, but for the desert-type, its just plain mat with no substrate.

gary.elliott

5 Year Member
Kent, England
IMAG0179.jpgIMAG0180.jpgThanks everyone for your comments, a couple more photos to bring you right up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sheesh! amazing.

You might be planning this, but you could create a hide within the shed idea that some have mentioned in other threads.
Use background heat in the main shed (many of us like the radiant electric oil heaters in the US), then build a smaller hide with a lower ceiling on one end, with a door. Heat it with a floor pig mat on a thermostat (I imagine you have those in the UK) and possibly a tube heater (I know you have those in the UK, we don't) or other supplemental heat/light for really cold days.

Looks like you are really focusing on insulation, which will certainly help with heating costs.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
gary.elliott said:
Hi all heres an update on Terri's home, it is very near completion now it has taken over a year to this stage because it is all self build and I am not in the building trade in any respect so have had to learn as I go plus of course money. So if I can do it so can you.

GARY, You did an amazing job!!!! very very nice!!!!! That is one lucky tort!!!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Very cool! I love that you can actually stand up in it. Great job!

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
wow that is so admirable!! lucky tortoise you have :D how big is the house? :)

gary.elliott

5 Year Member
Kent, England
Hi All just to clarify, Lynne you read my mind, I have an oil filled radiator and am building a small sleeping shelter for one end which will be kept warm with a ceramic heater on a thermostat so top marks to you. As to the shed it is 8 foot by 4 foot internal and is as you have guessed fully insulated for british winters even the roof will have insulation boards to reduce heat loss. This might seem over the top but I want to get it right first time and not have to do it all again later, thanks for all your posts and compliments. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.