TerryO! You asked, and now you are recieving! (Box turtle/enclosure pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
So, first I wanted to show you my new moss log ;) It is actually in my Hingeback enclosure. The distance between the uprights is 8 feet, to give you an idea of the size of the log. It weighs a LOT, let me tell you. I ended up with a smashed and very bruised hand before we finishes maneuvering it into place.

DSCF8249.jpg

The pots on either end contain Tennessee ostrich fern. It is early in the growing season here, but I am hoping they reach their full 4' potential. Imagine how neat it will look, with that big log in the middle and a couple of Boston ferns hanging over the top!

The Hingebacks approve ;)

DSCF8251.jpg

Okay, the Box turtle pen. Again, it is early in the season here, so the plants have only been coming up for two weeks or so, despite the weird warm weather we had a couple of months back.

Mikka

DSCF8252.jpg

Mikaayla

DSCF8256.jpg

(No Mikhail, he was being shy.)

Our new addition this year ;)

DSCF8254.jpg

And the moss logs. There is a secret to it, you know, and I just *might* be willing to share it, if you ask nicely ;) Works for rocks, too, as you can see.

DSCF8258.jpg

DSCF8260.jpg

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
Wow those are some great looking enclosures! You've definitely got some happy turtles and torts over there :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
:):)Oh Pretty Please tell us how best to grow moss on racks and Logs!:):);):p

will this work in areas like Texas?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
the secret.....Get buttermilk and some cultivating moss...mix it in a blender...then paint it on a rock/log and it will take off growing

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow Kristina...WOW WOW WOW....I love all your enclosures!! OK...what's the secret, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee. Damn....I love that big old hollow log too. I have to hurry to the woods before tic season. Where do you find all this great stuff? The woods? Your enclosures look exactly like places where you would find a Box turtle in the wild.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, Jojo spilled my secret ;) I don't get any special cultivating moss or anything, I just collect it when it is releasing spores. That is when the tall red stems grow out of the moss, usually with a little ball on the tip. You can either do it that way, in the blender with buttermilk and then paint it on, or, you can paint the buttermilk on the surface you want to place the moss on and then lay it down in sheets. Then - water water water water water! Soaker hoses and misters come in really handy to keep things a nice constant dampness.

As far as the hollow logs, I always keep an eye out for when the power or other utility companies are cutting down trees. They usually have one crew that comes through and cuts it up and another a couple of days later that picks up the wood. If I see anything hollow, it is mine, lol. (I know of a HUGE one that I want really, really bad but I don't have the space for it!)

We live right next to a forested area. I do collect native plants and use them, and I do live in fantastic Box turtle territory. I just always make sure that I don't take all of something from one area, so that there are still living plants to grow more and spread the next year.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Looks good! and i WILL be using the moss paint :), i have an awesome log with no moss and im sure itll just look awesome coverd in it! thanks for the tips and for sharing such awesome pictures of your pen :)!!!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yeah the moss trick I saw done a few years ago.......you can paint your name on a wall and watch it grow......i want to know..if i do this moss thing on a log...if I can put it in my inside enclosure (in my house)..or if it will do harm.....

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I wish I could grow moss like that! It's hard enough keeping a wet habitat, much less moss, out here in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.