Testudo graeca graeca?what is the white spot on shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech13

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366341991.991242.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366342060.947643.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366342218.315850.jpg I've been researching and I think my little greek is the subspecies i named above, please let me know what you think and if the white spot on his shell is something to worry about (in the third pic)? If you have the same subspecies and are willing to share some husbandry tips, may I send a message?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366341950.108091.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366341950.108091.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Someone else will have to chime in with exact classification info... I don't know much about subspecies.

White spots on the shell are often old damage, old shell rot, or in some cases, active shell rot. To tell which of these, could you post a close-up, focused pic? Depending on what it is, you will either leave it alone, or treat with antifungal cream, of the same sort you'd use for foot fungus in humans (active ingredient clotrimazole).

Tech13 said:
I've been researching and I think my little greek is the subspecies i named above, please let me know what you think and if the white spot on his shell is something to worry about (in the third pic)? If you have the same subspecies and are willing to share some husbandry tips, may I send a message?

Tech13

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366386415.528041.jpg Thank you for replying, I hope this pic will help, it is on the left C3 scute. Tech had it when we got him, 4 weeks ago. There is also some damage in other places,ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366386922.828946.jpg like to the left of his Supra caudal scute in this pic. This is my first tortoise and i am trying my best to learn to give this little guy a great life, but there is so much info to sift thru, I really appreciate the time you and others spend helping here on TFO

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That's a bit of bone peeking through where the keratin got knocked off, probably during transport. In time new keratin will grow there. :) Unless more spots like this start showing up, I don't think you need to worry. :)

Tech13 said:
Thank you for replying, I hope this pic will help, it is on the left C3 scute. Tech had it when we got him, 4 weeks ago. There is also some damage in other places, like to the left of his Supra caudal scute in this pic. This is my first tortoise and i am trying my best to learn to give this little guy a great life, but there is so much info to sift thru, I really appreciate the time you and others spend helping here on TFO

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Tech 13 congrats on Tech coming into your life. I am no expert, new to Greeks myself, but I am an expert in seeing cute and your baby is that. I think Katie is right. I was reading about testudo graecas and whatever else they are based on where they are gound, graeca, terrestris, ???, and their journey to us from their native desert and boy do they get thrown around. Burlap bags, truck beds, rolling around in truck beds, some confiscated and put back, some to broker, shipping, broker again and store. Poor things. I am with you, I want mine to have the chill life. Mine were very freaked when I got them last year but now they see me and walk up. They are thee best! I am glad you found this forum. Lots of great peeps with lots of time keeping, excellent experts here! Woo hoo for us! : )

Tech13

5 Year Member
Ok, I found "Favorites" under "more" and realized I can find my topics/threads there, so now I must apologize for not responding to the last two posts in April (sorry). Thank you Biochem... and BeeBee...for your comments, Tech is also thankful for the comment on his cuteness (tort-smile). I think Greeks are melt- your-heart adorable too. To update, Tech's shell seems to be the same, and hopefully now that he gets real sunshine on nice days, there will be improvement too. He has other damage spots on his carapace and plastron too, I really feel for these guys going thru so much like you said, before they make it here

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My female has a few spots like that too. She's fine, so I'm not worried, and no more have shown up so you shouldn't be worried! Mostly it just looks like she was attacked or sick or whatever before I bought her, but she's pretty fantastic now that she's out in the open and eating everything in sight :)

Tech13

5 Year Member
I'm glad to hear your girl is doing well after all she must have been thru. Thanks for letting me know about your similar story, Tech has an incredible appetite also and is active most days during his non basking/sleeping times, so I will relax some and just monitor his condition. I was going to switch to coco coir (from cypress mulch) to keep things more humid but am a little afraid it may cause rot in his damaged areas, what substrate do you use/ how long have you been using it?

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Both my Greeks are free range. I built them a turtle pit last summer when I got them and they're outside year round except for our real hot days and our really cold days.

Tech13

5 Year Member
devsharkey said:
Both my Greeks are free range. I built them a turtle pit last summer when I got them and they're outside year round except for our real hot days and our really cold days.

Thanks for the info, Devon, Tech found his way to a Pennsylvania Pet Smart, (then to us) so this is his home sweet home. Even though the climate is becoming milder here...sigh, it's not like yours...but it's my job to make sure Tech gets the best we have to offer. On that note, KUDOS to you, TF and all the members/moderators who help to make this possible!
-Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.